Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC light flashed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I thinks that's normal.
Wheww. Good to know, just trying to be proactive. Thanks guys for all the great info!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
Wheww. Good to know, just trying to be proactive. Thanks guys for all the great info!
Mine does that sometimes. You may hear a sound and feel a brake pedal shudder... that's just the ABS making sure you don't get stuck and can drive straight. Basically, it gives some ABS love to your diff. You're in good shape.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

As an aside, I took the D2 out today for a run and whilst on the local gravelly road I spun up the wheels on a slow right hand bend, the TC kicked in (which you can hear as it sounds exactly like ABS working/juddering) and the TC light flashed on. The other easier way is on gravel from a standing start with half or full turning lock and then accelerate hard and the TC kicks in immediately and the TC warning light shows.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Mudding

Well, got the 3 Amigos. I took a pic this way it's documented on what it actually looks like. After extensive search, I couldn't find anything to show what lights are the 3 on. Anyways, found this video very useful on what to check and replace. At least the ABS Modulator is on top of the engine compartment.

How To Resolve 3 Amigos Errors On Discover II

Attached Thumbnails TC light flashed?-3amigos.jpg  

Last edited by MPDano; 08-25-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

The TC light coming on is normal when a wheel slips. It's what makes our Rovers Great.

As far as the 3 Amigos coming on, I would not rush to ABS modulator so fast. Other things can trigger those lights I believe. I think a bad speed sensor can also trigger them. You should look into buying or renting an ABS amigo to read the abs fault codes. You will need one to reset the 3 amigos after you fix the problem anyway.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
The TC light coming on is normal when a wheel slips. It's what makes our Rovers Great.

As far as the 3 Amigos coming on, I would not rush to ABS modulator so fast. Other things can trigger those lights I believe. I think a bad speed sensor can also trigger them. You should look into buying or renting an ABS amigo to read the abs fault codes. You will need one to reset the 3 amigos after you fix the problem anyway.
It lasted all the way to my work. When I went to go to lunch this afternoon, it reset itself and never came back.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
It lasted all the way to my work. When I went to go to lunch this afternoon, it reset itself and never came back.
That sounds like you could have a speed sensor going out to me but those lights could be telling you all kinds of brake related faults.

-What kind of shape are your brakes in? When was the last time you changed the pads and rotors and changed the brake fluid?

-Do you have any brake squeal?

I've heard of just new pads, rotors, and a brake fluid flush fixing the 3 amigos so if your brakes are in bad shape then I would start there. The 2 most important systems on a vehicle are the braking and steering systems and if you even for a second think something is wrong with either of those things then I would not waste time finding and fixing the problem correctly. If an engine or transmission die while driving you can pull over, if the brakes or steering die while driving chances are you die too.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 08-25-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
That sounds like you could have a speed sensor going out to me but those lights could be telling you all kinds of brake related faults.

-What kind of shape are your brakes in? When was the last time you changed the pads and rotors and changed the brake fluid?

-Do you have any brake squeal?

I've heard of just new pads, rotors, and a brake fluid flush fixing the 3 amigos so if your brakes are in bad shape then I would start there. The 2 most important systems on a vehicle are the braking and steering systems and if you even for a second think something is wrong with either of those things then I would not waste time finding and fixing the problem correctly. If an engine or transmission die while driving you can pull over, if the brakes or steering die while driving chances are you die too.
Funny you mention about the brakes. I bought the car from my mom a few months ago as she let it sit for over 7 years without running it. I replaced lot's of things to get it running and pass smog. Brakes felt low as when you push them down it did brake but if I let up and pushed again it felt like it should. No MC leaking type condition, so I flushed the whole system with new brake fluid and it felt the same. Pads are fine as I felt the material all all 4's. I never thought about the ABS back then. Now I am thinking this is the source for the brakes feeling like they do.