Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light and brake light question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default ABS light and brake light question...

First my abs light is always on... Are there sensors I can pull on each hub or something? Clean them and put them back in, could that be the issue? Any how-to info on that would be awesome.

I pulled the ebrake the other day on a hill... I come back and the, "brake," light just stayed on... I messed with the e-brake handle a little, and got the light to flicker then shut off, but now it's always on and real annoying... any info...

thanks guys, hope everyone is well haven't been on the board much.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ABS light and brake light question...

Brad,

There are a few things potentially going on there. Read my tech info sections at www.eurotekapg.com ---- where I talk about the ABS system. Sometimes a sensor itself just comes partially unseated at the upright (and can be "tapped" back down until properly seated). Other times the hub bearing itself is going, and allowing more radial movement which triggers the light when the air gap changes between the sensor and the target ring.

On the e-brake thing, first check your brake fluid level to make sure that this was just not a coincidence and the light is on becasue of fluid level. The e-brake---of course---is a cable actuated system with brake shoes acting on a drum that is on the transfer case output shaft. If the fluid level is good, you may just have a failing micro-switch at the e-brake handle.

Regards,
Geoman

Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Mudding

Ok, so where should I look for this abs sensor, be specific as possible as I have no idea where to look...

Also where should I look for this ebrake sensor to get this light off, the brake fluid is full, and there are no leaks, so I'm sure it has to do with the ebrake handle.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Mudding

I'd like to fix the abs asap as snow is coming, for now I just took the bulbs out because they were bugging me... prob stupid since I'll have to put them back in to see if the system is active but nontheless the lights arn't bugging me anymore.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling

What year is your Discovery?

Geoman

Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Mudding

Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Brad,

I pasted in a procedure below, but I'm not sure that the pics will be included. You can PM me and I can send it as a e-mail attachment.

ABS FAULT DIAGNOSIS
If a fault has occurred, or has been identified by the electronic control unit (ECU) self diagnostic function and the ABS warning light is illuminated, the system and components must be checked to locate and rectify the fault using the Testbook (a Land Rover diagnostic special tool) diagnostics. However, if the Testbook is not available, use the Land Rover ABS Blink Code Procedure. See: How to Retrieve Fault Codes

NOTE : If warning lamp has indicated a fault in system, and no fault code has been stored in memory, cause of fault could be:

Failure in electrical supply
Bad ECU ground
Faulty warning light relay
ECU not connected
Before commencing fault diagnosis procedure following items must be checked:

Inspect all exposed cables for damage or abrasion.
Check ground on ABS system.
Battery - state of charge.
Check hub end-float.
All ABS fuses and electrical connections.
Fault rectification

Complete harness should be replaced if faults are found in wiring harness.
DO NOT use unspecified cables or connectors, as this could jeopardize safe function of ABS.
DO NOT attempt to open sealed 35 way connector to ECU.
NOTE :

If ABS warning light illuminates due to large sensor air gap, fault will be retained by the ECU memory. Where wheel sensors have been pushed fully home prior to test, the ECU will indicate a fault that has been rectified.
After any steering adjustment, bearing replacement/adjustment, brake disc replacement: Check hub end/float and sensor clearance.
After fixing faults, clear ALL memory codes and road test vehicle.

ABS SENSOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE - FRONT

1. Release the ABS sensor harness grommet from the inner fender valance and disconnect the multi-plug. (Figure 1)

WARNING: Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

2. Raise front of vehicle and support with stands.

3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

4. Pull the ABS sensor harness through the aperture into the wheel arch. (2 in Figure 2)

5. Release the ABS sensor harness from the brackets on the inner wing valance, suspension turret and the front hub. (3 in Figure 2)

6. Refer to RAVE/GTR section 70.12.10 and remove the front brake disc.

CAUTION: The ABS sensor and the surrounding area must be clean to prevent contamination from entering the hub assembly.

7. Perform the following: (5 in Figure 3)

^ Remove the Allen screw from the sensor

^ Release the ABS sensor from the front hub.

^ If the original 0-ring remains in the sensor bore, remove it and discard.

8. Loosen four bolts securing the front hub to the swivel hub. (6 in Figure 4)

9. Release the front hub from the swivel hub sufficiently to allow the ABS sensor harness to be removed. (7 in Figure 4)

10. Clean the ABS sensor and mating surface, ensure any metallic particles are removed.

11. Apply grease supplied in the kit to the ABS sensor.

12. Lubricate new '0' ring on the new ABS sensor.

13. Position the ABS sensor between the hub and the swivel hub.

14. Tighten Allen screw to 18 Nm (13 lbf.ft).

15. Position the hub and the tighten bolts to 100 Nm (74 lbf.ft).

16. Secure the ABS sensor harness to the brackets and secure the grommet to the inner fender valance.

17. Connect the multi-plug to ABS sensor harness.

18. Install the front brake disc.

19. Lower the front of vehicle.

ABS SENSOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE - REAR

1. Raise rear of vehicle and support with stands.

2. Refer to RAVE/GTR section 70.12.33 and remove the rear brake disc.

3. Disconnect the ABS sensor multi-plug. (2 in Figure 5)

4. Release the ABS sensor harness from the brake hose and the hose bracket. (3 in Figure 5)

CAUTION: ABS sensor and the surrounding area must be clean to prevent contamination entering the hub assembly.

5. Remove the Allen screw, release the ABS sensor from the hub and discard the '0' ring. (4 in Figure 6)

6. Remove the ABS sensor from the hub. (5 in Figure 6)

7. If the original 0-ring remains in the sensor bore, remove it and discard.

8. Clean the ABS sensor and mating surface to ensure any metallic particles are removed.

9. Apply grease supplied in the kit to the new ABS sensor.

10. Lubricate new '0' ring on the new ABS sensor.

11. Position the ABS sensor to the hub and tighten the Allen screw to 18 Nm (13 lbf.ft).

12. Connect the ABS sensor multi-plug.

13. Secure the ABS sensor harness to the brake hose and the ABS sensor harness bracket.

14. Install the rear brake disc.

15. Lower the vehicle.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Mudding

wow thanks a million, that's awesome info... if you don't mind sending pics bswerl2@aol.com is me email, that'd be amazing... thanks again

Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Brad,

On your brake light problem, you gain access to the micro-switch on the e-brake handle by the following procedure:

remove the trim bezel on the panel where the window switches are--- on the center console.
remove the four screws that hold this panel in --you will see them after removing the bezel
you will see the switch at the base of the e-brake handle
first take a screwdriver and depress the switch all the way to see if the light goes out
if so-- replace the switch
if not-- you may have a defective float switch on the brake fluid reservoir, and it must be replaced

regards,
Geoman