Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD5 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD5 buying advice

Hi everyone
I currently have a 1990 3dr 200TDi disco that I've had a few years now and have been very happy with after a few fuel tweaks, a lift kit and some 31.10/50.15 MTs on it but the bodywork at the back is a problem on it now and it has various other bits & bobs that need sorting out.
With having a little un on the way now the mrs has agreed to replacing the disco and a TD5 has become available.
It's a 1999 model, 74k miles and is going for £5600.
I've read that the TD5 is a much nicer engine and a more refined car in general but wanted to know what the consensus of owners is and general things to look out for on this model to avoid costly problems.
To be honest I only need a 4x4 now for occasionally towing my boat on a relatively steep slipway, and was considering getting a softy 4x4 like a freelander TD4 or even a H*nda CRV (although my instincts tell me not to!). I've very tempted with the TD5 though as I'm reading comments about mileage figures like 30mpg which sounds too good to be true?
Would quite likely buy a chip if I buy this disco so I wondered also about which chips do the job well and which to avoid (please email or PM me if you don't want to post negative comments on here).
Sorry for all the questions - I know my own Disco very well and always do the work myself on it but I get the impression the TD5 is a very different beast and want to make sure I buy the right car so I avoid getting flogged by the mrs!
I live on the Isle of Man btw so the choice is limited here and prices normally a bit higher than UK.
Only alternative I've seen so far is a 2000 TD4 Freelander estate for £5000 (77K miles). I like the idea of the good economy they give but have heard a fair few reliability comments on freelanders, have also heard the TD4 is a wee bit underpowered, and am I right in thinking there's no low box on those?
Appreciate any advice - obviously I will search out what info I can but this Disco seems a good option and I'd hate to miss it if it's just what I'm after.
Cheers!
Jim

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TD5 buying advice

I own a 2003 discover TD5, auto trans, and I get about 22 miles/gl HW, and 18 City, its very fast and noisy.