Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD5 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII

I've read a little about the lpg conversion but how does it fly with US state inspections? Will the vehicle still pass inspections with the lpg setup? One issue with lpg is the scarecity of lpg filling stations.... Not sure how common they are in the UK though. Now a co worker was telling me something about a inspection waiver you can get in the event that you modified your vehicle. He said it costs around $500. Ive never heard of any waivers though.
He says in England you can test in either petrol or lpg if your setup is dual fuel like his is.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on your state and how inspections are done you may or may not run into issues doing conversions. In some states they just plug into a computer and read codes then you're on your way. There technically are special DOT/EPA certified conversion kits and technically those are the only ones you're allowed to use but again...depending on how your state does inspections they may never know you even have a conversion let alone if it is a certified one since the system doesn't modify anything. Once switched to standard gas mode, it would be like nothing was connected. Besides LPG and CNG burn cleaner than gas anyways.

To put cost into perspective: a 10 gal gasoline equivalent of various fuels:
(NH prices)
Gas (93): 10 gal @ $3.75/gal = $37.50
Diesel: 8.77 gal @ 3.81/gal = $33.41
LPG: 13.44 gal @$3.20/gal = $43.00
CNG: 12.02 gal @ $2.50/gal = $30.05

So in the US LPG is actually more expensive than standard gasoline. The reason the UK and Aussie disco owners do it is because gas (petrol over there) is MUCH more expensive than it is here. Here though, CNG is actually the cheapest but a lot harder to find public stations. If you have natural gas at your house they make systems that store gas in a large tank so you can fill up at home. (The lines that feed homes are very low pressure so you need a system running all the time to siphon enough for normal use in a vehicle)

Last edited by br0keit; 08-15-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did I miss why you insist on switching to a diesel? I believe that if it was for reliability/fuel/torque reasons, this thread (among others) has prooved it's not worth it. If it's just because you like them, I can relate to that because that's pretty much the only reason to get a Disco as well! That said, moderatly more power and better mileage can be had with the stock V8 for a few hundred bucks for the DIYer. I just won a drag race with my buddy's Cayenne. Granted, he didn't know we were racing & was pulling a 19' Four Winns boat, but that didn't steal away the sweet taste of victory!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

sigh... see what I was saying about UK Defenders being a prime target for crooks? They steal them then swap out the vin numbers and try importing them to the states in hopes of making $$$$$$! Sadly this Defender fell victim. One more reason to move to the UK! Feds Publicly Execute Illegal Land Rover In Baltimore

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
sigh... see what I was saying about UK Defenders being a prime target for crooks? They steal them then swap out the vin numbers and try importing them to the states in hopes of making $$$$$$! Sadly this Defender fell victim. One more reason to move to the UK! Feds Publicly Execute Illegal Land Rover In Baltimore
It's more likely it was just too new. If they had proof it was stolen they probably would have shipped it back.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

same thing at the Canadian border there was and article in LRO mag. about all the defender that they have impounded at the border. the article said the same thing off to the crusher