Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Jumps Up after Couple Minutes of Running

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Jumps Up after Couple Minutes of Running

Need some opinions fellow Rover nuts...

Looking at ANOTHER Disco (99 SD w/ 155K, 2 owner) for the youngest son to start driving. Went yesterday and did the test drive, looking / touching, etc. All in all, drove well, brakes not soft, shifted lovely, etc. SES light on (OBD tool indicated O2 sensor). Ignition cylinder needs to be replaced, I would replace that with the kit from AB (no alarm, keyed only). Couple other minor cosmetic items needed such as couple of pillar covers, rear light mounted, etc.

Here is my 'concern' - Started up and let idle for about 5 minutes while I talk to owner, etc. Jumped in to test drive and noticed the temp had climbed to about 3/4 of the gauge and went up a hair from that point, never to the red. Temp gauge came down from that mark to just below the 3/4 mark. I'm initially thinking potential water pump not circulating, dead t-stat. Could be a clogged up radiator. Did not notice any leakage or waterfall noises, no overflow from expansion tank, etc. No antifreeze smell under the hood or a the exhaust pipe..

I know from the previous (3) I have had, chasing the overheating causes can be 'fun' to say the least.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I know I don't trust the Rover temp gauge. Could also be the fan clutch. Did the temp come down during the test drive?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Overlanding

Came down a little as I drove.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I would be concerned that is very high, even when I had a blockage in my lower rad hose ( 2 inch long piece of wire loom protector) I never cracked the mid point and I was around 215 -218 Deg.

It could be a rad, thermostat, or just a lot of air in the system, but are you willing to roll the dice on it being a head gasket that is a considerable expense.

I would tend to pass, on this unless the price is outstanding

Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
I would be concerned that is very high, even when I had a blockage in my lower rad hose ( 2 inch long piece of wire loom protector) I never cracked the mid point and I was around 215 -218 Deg.

It could be a rad, thermostat, or just a lot of air in the system, but are you willing to roll the dice on it being a head gasket that is a considerable expense.

I would tend to pass, on this unless the price is outstanding
Your right, certainly is a risk. I could get it at $1500 but have to decide if that's a risk I want to take...Could be something as simple as fan clutch or t-stat but....

Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I wish I could provide you a simple check, but if the oil looks good and the truck runs good no misfires i guess it is just a roll of the dice. A failing water pump could cause the same issue, just not enough water flow.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
I wish I could provide you a simple check, but if the oil looks good and the truck runs good no misfires i guess it is just a roll of the dice. A failing water pump could cause the same issue, just not enough water flow.
I appreciate the input. Going back over today / tomorrow to run it some more - squeeze hoses, check the dipstick again (clean yesterday), etc. No misfires recorded on the OBD and idle right at 750 +/- mark..

Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarasota Rover
I appreciate the input. Going back over today / tomorrow to run it some more - squeeze hoses, check the dipstick again (clean yesterday), etc. No misfires recorded on the OBD and idle right at 750 +/- mark..
check the inside of the oil cap for dirty mayonnaise.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Inside the oil cap can collect condensation leading to milky conditions from primarily being driven on short drives. Not an accurate indication of any problems.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I agree oil cap is not a good indication of any HG issues. 100% normal with short trips or quick on/off cycles.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (03-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Temp Jumps Up after Couple Minutes of Running