Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Jumps Up after Couple Minutes of Running

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I have bought 12, your description sounds like a common stuck thermostat. Plugged radiator cause overheat when driving, not when idling. Water pump/air in the system/etc.usually on manifest when driving. If it drove fine without overheating, I woudl buy it and do the bypass thermostat mod immediately. If you want to be sure about the hg you can rent/borrow the chemical test from Oreilly.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

FWIW, T-stats, fan clutches and rads are pretty cheap and easy to fix. Same with the pump. Buy it and fix the issues. But bring a code reader capable of logging, and check temps with that. My rover had the water pump grenade and I shut the engine off within about 2 seconds of it letting go. My temps showed 227 on my reader, but the gauge hadn't even moved off centre.

A short spike in temps can cause lots of damage, but prolonged driving at extreme temps WILL cause damage.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Infrared thermometer is handy for diagnosing stuck thermostats and clogged radiators.

My money's on the thermostat

I wouldn't fire her up again without an OBD reader plugged in to monitor the actual engine temp

Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much thanks for the input guys. Shipping from PO tomorrow afternoon to the house to start trouble shooting. Fingers crossed is the low end of the pocket book. Hahahahaha

Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
check the inside of the oil cap for dirty mayonnaise.

ignore this recommendation. it would seem i have been mislead by my own ignorance.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Overlanding

Newest addition has arrived. Hoping for the stuck t stat or similar.... we shall see over the next couple of weeks. The young son loves it!

Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Perfect front bumper for a young driver

Old 03-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Great Front Bumper, but please do my eyes a favor and remove that OEM bumper support lol. It looks horrible & I see people with ARB/Tactical Rover/RTE, after-market bumpers re-install it all the time... It was meant to support the OEM plastic bumper. It will do you no good with a metal bumper except look awful.

On the new D2, I'd go to Auto Zone and pickup a new 180F thermostat, get some green coolant (if it isn't already green), test the fan clutch, and go from there. It's probably still got the OEM thermostat. I've also seen some aftermarket temp sensors give a false temp reading. IR temp guns are cheap 20-30.00, and just point n shoot to get temp readings on the upper hose, thermostat, and near the temp sensor.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Great Front Bumper, but please do my eyes a favor and remove that OEM bumper support lol. It looks horrible & I see people with ARB/Tactical Rover/RTE, after-market bumpers re-install it all the time... It was meant to support the OEM plastic bumper. It will do you no good with a metal bumper except look awful.

On the new D2, I'd go to Auto Zone and pickup a new 180F thermostat, get some green coolant (if it isn't already green), test the fan clutch, and go from there. It's probably still got the OEM thermostat. I've also seen some aftermarket temp sensors give a false temp reading. IR temp guns are cheap 20-30.00, and just point n shoot to get temp readings on the upper hose, thermostat, and near the temp sensor.

That's an eyesore no doubt! Thermostat on the way... I will post some results later this week..

Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Overlanding

UPDATE - New 180* t stat installed today.. Was hoping for cooler temps but nooo. Same as before, starts up, idles for 5-8 minutes in the 'normal zone' on the analog gauge, take it for short test run and the temps spike up damn near the red...SO..

Fan clutch is good (has resistance when turning by hand). Could this be a water pump causing the issue? Or clogged radiator? Or better yet, HG sucking it up somewhere? Spark plugs look decent, no leaks of coolant. Belt routing is correct, double checked against RAVE.

Don't know what they should read but hear are some readings from the IR Thermostat.. New t-stat at 142+/-, upper hoses around 135+/-. Top of radiator around 119+/-, bottom around 100 on one side to 89 +/- on one side.

Give some thoughts you smarter than me Rover guys....

Quick Reply: Temp Jumps Up after Couple Minutes of Running