Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Temperature gauge

Looking to install a electric temperature gauge to my 2003 Disco SE, can someone tell where the factory sensor is at and it's safe to just "T" in the same place and run the 2 units or there is better way to do this, thanks.....

Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I've heard great things about UltraGuage for monitoring temperature. I will be picking one up soon.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks but looking to install a hardwired dedicated temp gauge, Ultragauge is excellent but rather have a gauge that I can look at

Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Here you go
https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/installing-temp-gauge-2003-disco-ii-33833/

Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Winching

I'm just kind of curious how you would determine if its a better temperature gauge? Is it better placement or higher quality sender?

I was looking and if I were to try this, I'd want to use a gauge like this:
DROK® Fahrenheit °F Panel Thermometer DC 12V Voltmeter Temp/volt Gauge Green LED Digital Electronic Clock 18B20 Probe - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com DROK® Fahrenheit °F Panel Thermometer DC 12V Voltmeter Temp/volt Gauge Green LED Digital Electronic Clock 18B20 Probe - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com

But I wasn't sure what kind of temperature sender would be best to use. If its just a sender quality issue and not the location, would upgrading the sender in its factory location and using UltraGauge to read it be better?

Last edited by robert.juric; 03-26-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Mr. Booth thank you, exactly what I was looking for. If you ask why don't rely on the Ultra gauge?, simple, a defective sensor or malfunction and you will be looking at a big bill that could be prevented very easy and cheaply. It may have to do with my racing background, always have a second choice when it comes to the health of your engine. Thank you guys.....appreciated
'

Old 03-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
I'm just kind of curious how you would determine if its a better temperature gauge? Is it better placement or higher quality sender?

I was looking and if I were to try this, I'd want to use a gauge like this:
DROK® Fahrenheit °F Panel Thermometer DC 12V Voltmeter Temp/volt Gauge Green LED Digital Electronic Clock 18B20 Probe - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com

But I wasn't sure what kind of temperature sender would be best to use. If its just a sender quality issue and not the location, would upgrading the sender in its factory location and using UltraGauge to read it be better?
To date I've never had any issues with either the temp sender or the gauge but with the V8 an aftermarket temp gauge would be a good investment and insurance. Mine is activated by a separate sender located in the top hose in an alloy adaptor and it concurs with the stock gauge. I have a TD5 which is less of an overheating problem than the V8 but I prefer to run an additional gauge as an insurance as overheating in a TD5 is not unheard of. As for the provenance of an aftermarket gauge, well who can tell, whether expensive or cheap all electronics are known to fail. I run a cheapo digitla Dragon gauge (made in China where most electronics come from) and calibrated in celsius (The UK and europe dumped fahrenheit decades ago) and it has visual and audible alarms automatically set. So unless you are really rich the cheapos IMO are just as good as the expensive but are an excellent insurance and cheaper than cylinder heads or HG's. A gauge and kit to install the temp would be circa $30.

IMO there are two gauges that are imperative, a coolant temp gauge and an oil pressure gauge the rest are nice to have but a UG or HUD serves just the same functions but there's nothing like visibility.

Most parts are here:

Mini Speaker TV BOX Wireless Headphone Converter items in TOMTOP Digital Center store on eBay!

Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a UG or HUD uses the same sender as the ecu, separate gauge separated sender is always better

Old 03-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Winching

Would a sender like this suffice?

Water/Oil/Trans Temperature Sender

I liked the kit posted earlier, but I don't want a big radial gauge, just a small digital gauge, which I haven't been able to find as a kit. So I've been looking for the pieces individually.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
a UG or HUD uses the same sender as the ecu, separate gauge separated sender is always better
x1 totally agree.

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge