Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terafirma or OME

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terafirma or OME

I am picking up a 99 D2 next weekend and I want to lift it and get some better shoes for her. Which of these brands are best for the Rover. I have been driving Land Cruisers for awhile and all those guys seem to like OME. I have OME on my 1986 LC now and like it. BTW its for sale! Anyhow I want to go 2in so what tires should I be looking at on the factory rims?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got the terrafirma and they are great. There are a lot of OME bigots on here though. OME has certainly earned their reputation, but you can save some cash on the TF, and I don't think you loose much if any as far as quality goes.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

T.F. are cheap and don't hold up as well as the OME's do. When you get the Disco, lets talk about the type of lift you want, OME makes 4 different combination of coils and a really great shock.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

See. ;-)

Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Administrator

If you have something to say, then say it.
Don't know if you ever watch some of the Rover classified section, there are a number of people who have removed their T.F suspension, replacing with OME and trying to sell them, that says something.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you have something to say, then say it.

I don't know how to say it any clearer. You always come around knocking the TF stuff. I actually own some of their stuff, and it's fine. I'm just glad you proved my point so quickly.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my OME, but if I buy a lift for my 04 I will probably go with ironman or TF just from what friends have told me about theirs. I went OME on my 99 because I got a good deal and got shocks and springs for $250 from a friend. My mechanic installs all three brands and he runs TF on his stuff. I'm usually a name brand whatever cost most is best kinda guy, but I feel they are all close quality now.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have OME and while I can say that the ride quality is great, It is not as tall as I want and the front sags with the winch/bumper/hi-lift combo up there. I plan to put the spring risers in to achieve a level rig and a little more clearance. Possibly make them at work since the correct combo I have not yet found. (I am sure I will get slammed for that)

Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jafir
I don't know how to say it any clearer. You always come around knocking the TF stuff. I actually own some of their stuff, and it's fine. I'm just glad you proved my point so quickly.
When someone asks a question, we all have our preference and until you have driven on a solid OME suspension for over 11 year, you have no idea about what the OME will do for you.
I have been in a couple T.F. sprung Disco's and as long as you are not into pretty hard wheeling, then they may be OK.
As for my feeling regarding T.F., they do make some pretty good products, just don't like their suspensions and it is my right to say that to anyone asking with out you spouting off.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
T.F. are cheap and don't hold up as well as the OME's do.
Why do you say that ?

The spring rates are very close, the shocks are both made in Asia.

Here's the difference as I see it. Chair for my mates extended length shocks. The OME ones are standard length. OME shock $100 terrafirma shock $60 and if you want the Prosports plus 3in they $75.

I have used both brands off-road for many years and I cannot say in good conscience you're getting anything extra for the money spent on OME.

Quick Reply: Terafirma or OME