Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terafirma or OME

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is fun! Whatever I get I want to keep it under 3 in so I don't have to worry about vibrations and all the other stuff I'll need to buy to correct that. I don't wheel much cause I hate getting my rigs dirty. When I was younger I'd have a new truck buried within a week. I learned a lot from those days. I just really like a lifted vehicle and larger tires with aggressive tread. Then I'm ready just in case. The price of the TF stuff makes it very tempting.

As far as tires go with lets say a 2 in lift what can I safely run without rubbing and such?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My D2 has a TF 2 inch lift and I love it. My friend has a D2 with OME 2 inch lift and it is very nice as well. They are very close in ride quality and for the wheeling we do, they both are just fine. The real deciding factor for me was price, and after being in a D2 with each brand, I can't justify spending the extra money on an OME kit.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the midst of shopping for lifts and new sneakers too. I will be going with 2" spacers first (can't afford lift rims and tires all at once) then when I get bumpers I will get the OEM 1.65" lift. 275/65/18 (almost 31") or 265/75/16 (31.6 ") . this is what I have come up with over the past month of reaserch

Last edited by Mojigglins; 06-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dpaller
I have OME and while I can say that the ride quality is great, It is not as tall as I want and the front sags with the winch/bumper/hi-lift combo up there. I plan to put the spring risers in to achieve a level rig and a little more clearance. Possibly make them at work since the correct combo I have not yet found. (I am sure I will get slammed for that)
You won't/or shouldn't get slammed for installing the wrong coils for you requirements. What front and rear coils, by part number, did you buy?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojigglins
I am in the midst of shopping for lifts and new sneakers too. I will be going with 2" spacers first (can't afford lift rims and tires all at once) then when I get bumpers I will get the OEM 1.65" lift. 275/65/18 (almost 31") or 265/75/16 (31.6 ") . this is what I have come up with over the past month of reaserch
So you don't buy the wrong coils, which specifically, by part number, are you going to buy, cause for the most part, OME doesn't make a 1.5" lift. There are 4 different coils sets depending on your needs, with the exception of the soft coil set the rest will give you between 2.25 and 3.0"s.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
Why do you say that ?

The spring rates are very close, the shocks are both made in Asia.

Here's the difference as I see it. Chair for my mates extended length shocks. The OME ones are standard length. OME shock $100 terrafirma shock $60 and if you want the Prosports plus 3in they $75.

I have used both brands off-road for many years and I cannot say in good conscience you're getting anything extra for the money spent on OME.
Justin, I understand you are a big supplier of T.F. and as I mentioned, I like pretty much all their products with the exception of the lifts.
My experience with them is the shocks are not made to stand up to hard wheeling and a number of them have failed or broken since they came out. Over the last year there have been a number of people replacing and selling their T.F. suspensions and going back to OME cause the T.F. did not meet their needs.
I believe that if you are not going to be wheeling hard then the T.F. suspension will be OK but not for hard playing.
By the way, as you well know, OME does make an extended Sport Shock to handle 3" plus lifts.
I know that you have a lot of experience with Rovers/4 wheelers and are well respected in the community, I am only basing my opinions based from when I started wheeling back in 1969 with a number of different brands over the year and my feeling is that OME and the Iron Man offer a much better quality product and yes they do cost more based on their quality.
We are all entitled to our own beliefs based on our experience, just like which is better Ford or Chevy.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
just like which is better Ford or Chevy.
You mean Dodge?

Just kiddin'

Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So you don't buy the wrong coils, which specifically, by part number, are you going to buy, cause for the most part, OME doesn't make a 1.5" lift. There are 4 different coils sets depending on your needs, with the exception of the soft coil set the rest will give you between 2.25 and 3.0"s.
OME779 and OME762 I believe. HD springs since I will have about almost 1000 lbs of bumpers , sliders lights and such.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I removed my <4 year old OME setup on my D2 for a Terrafirma setup. With the exception of one TF bushing blowing out I have been more than happy with it's performance.

Just to clarify, I removed OME FOR TF, and we supply both suspension company's products.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Those are a great combination but will give you nearly a 2.5" lift.
What you have chosen is a common set up for a D2 that will keep you in a comfortable yet allow you to carry that weight. the next step up from there would be 751 coils from a D1 in front and 762 with D1 coil spring bracket or for real HD, the 763's.

Quick Reply: Terafirma or OME