Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma +3" ADJUSTABLE shock review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Terrafirma +3" ADJUSTABLE shock review

Thought i would give you guys my initial thoughts on my recent shock investment.

Initially i ordered a set of FOX 2.0 +2" shocks (non-adjustable, non- external reservoir) from Lucky8. Couple days later i was told that they were on back order and would be for several months. No good! i wanted the 200,000mi+ factory shocks OUT OF THERE!

so i asked if they (sorry to the guys at Lucky 8, i cant remember which one of yal i was emailing lol) had a set of +2" OME's. nope, strike two.

So he says to me, they've got a set of +3" Terrafirmas. I chuckled and politely informed him that i was no chump and had read the countless negative reviews on Terrafirma's shock quality.

However, he assured me that these were their latest iteration and that he has had the very same ones installed on his rover for years. PLUS they are 4 way adjustable (don't remember if it is compression or rebound). So i took the plunge. i figure if they are good enough for the lucky 8 boys they are good enough for me, or at least worth a shot.

so initial impressions: I freaking love these things!
A: huge difference in firmness between highest and lowest level. makes on-road driving far more enjoyable on the stiffest setting.

B: off road driving at speed is far more composed. I don't know how well they will resist fade on prolonged rough roads, but on the short washboard and uneven dirt roads i have at my disposal the vehicle feels far more "trophy truck" like and less of an out of control mess. and again, back to back trials reveal an notable difference in stiffness depending on shock setting,

C: have yet to attempt a max articulation test as i haven't had time to find a spot where i can get one wheel in the air and have a spotter keep an eye on my brake/abs lines. However, like one would assume, the shocks are no longer a travel limiter when driving over uneven terrain. the stock shocks were constantly extending to their full length when the vehicle rocked arround on the trail or when i drove off a "ledge" at speed.

cons:

A: only thing that i have noticed is that the lower bushings on the front shocks appear to be very very soft. im afraid that these will wear out prematurely.

B: paint appears to be just that, paint. no powder coat. I fully don't expect this thin silver paint to last through the winter road salt (we typically see a couple weeks of salty roads here in OK) but time will tell.

So far im happy with my decision and glad i went with +3" shock, even though ive only got 2" OME coils. With only 32" tires, ill gladly take any extra articulation, even if it means i have to retain my springs. Sway bar disconnects are in the near future, most likely proceeded or followed by extended lines.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I have ran TF AT shocks for 4 years love them.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I really want to install the 3" kit on mine but I don't think I'll make it into my garage.
What was the price?

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the regular TF shocks that come with the 3" kit and so far so good. HD springs all around with no extra weight in my rig and the ride is better than stock blown shocks and broken springs by far.

My garage entry is 7'1" and with my 3" lift and stock 29" tires, I have a little over 3" clearance. I'm pretty sure that entry height is a standard door height for garages.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

You spoke with me. Thanks for the positive review!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I really want to install the 3" kit on mine but I don't think I'll make it into my garage.
What was the price?
I'm on 3.5" with 265/65r18s. The garage door without the garage door opener to hold the door all the way up it fits... just. The garage that does have the opener to hole the door all the way up has ~3" clearance.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much did the shocks cost?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Out of curiosity, how much did the shocks cost?
Somewhere in the order of $500. Similar to a standard set of OME's (depending on where you buy) and about $50 cheaper than the equivalent FOX or Bilstein set.

​​​​​​I kick myself all the time for passing up on an unused set of OME's on ebay for $250 but I think I would have been extremely dissapointed with extended length of any of the standard options