Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma Shocks... OME or Terrafirma Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrafirma Shocks... OME or Terrafirma Springs

Hello fellow Rovers

I'm finally manning up and buying my first lift kit for 2002 disco 2 and have run into a few questions. I have called Justin up at Lucky 8 and still am not sure so I would love some more opinions.
I have decided that I am definitely going to get Terrafirma shocks whether it be in the 2" kit or whether I purchase them separately and get OME springs. The reason that I would mix and match is that I can get the OME springs for 300 and each Terrafirma all terrain shock at $40 a piece. This bringing the total of that kit to 540. With the all Terrafirma kit, I would be spending about 600. Keep in mind that I still have to the purchase the rear air suspension conversion kit from Atlantic British.
Apart from price, the next thing I am worried about is that I keep my truck in the garage and would like to be able to keep it there. Searching around the forum, I have seen that Terrafirma gives you overall more lift which may be a bad thing in my situation however I would love it and would not hesitate to buy it if I knew for certain thjat it would fit.

So having about an 83" garage and putting on a 2 inch lift which 245 75 16 tires, which kit would be the most logical to get?

Thanks for the help

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you were to do a search many months back there were a couple threads regarding people breaking T.F. shocks. $42 shock are not want you want on your top heavy Disco, save your money and do it right, buying a complete OME medium duty lift that will last forever and will fit into most garages with up to a 32" tire.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i have never broken a terrafirma shock yet and i beat the **** out of mine. i have the +2" HD kit. netted about 2 1/4". as for OME they are great products. although contrary to mikes belief the springs do not last forever. I have seen some that have sagged pretty low after a few years of abuse. but any spring would.

if i were you i would get the terrafirma 3" kit and a set of spare tires to go wheeling with. then you can put your street tires on to fit it in the garage. or just air down your bigger tires to gain some clearance.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I currently have 140,000 of my front 751 OME coils and other then they are rust scaling some now, they have only dropped 1/4" in the last 9 plus years.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Mike,
I was pretty dead set on OME kit until I called Justin at lucky 8 and he suggested that I get the Terrafirma kit due to the better price and higher lift. He assured me it was a good product and had me convinced that it was the kit to get. However, after looking on the forum I see a lot of people choosing OME instead so I thought I could get the best of both worlds with the $60 shocks from Terrafirma and medium duty spring set from OME. I still have not decided what to get yet actually.
Thanks for the input!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Hilltoppersx,
I do see how that could be a good choice but the problem is I keep my truck in the garage at all times and having to change tires or air down just to put it in there would be a bit of a hassle. And I think I'm going with the 2" just because I do not want to change break lines or abs sensors at this point.
Thanks for the ideas!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by disco202
Mike,
I was pretty dead set on OME kit until I called Justin at lucky 8 and he suggested that I get the Terrafirma kit due to the better price and higher lift. He assured me it was a good product and had me convinced that it was the kit to get. However, after looking on the forum I see a lot of people choosing OME instead so I thought I could get the best of both worlds with the $60 shocks from Terrafirma and medium duty spring set from OME. I still have not decided what to get yet actually.
Thanks for the input!
I send a lot of business to Justin, but he and I differ on the issue of lifts. Early last spring, I believe, Justin had a big blow out regarding OME's new pricing structure and has really leaned towards the T.F. for that reason. Yes, T.F. is a lot cheaper and till time and a lot of mileage shows up on this new suspension, I am staying with the tried and proven OME line of coils and shocks.
You will see a lot of people praising/buying the T.F. line but the biggest % ot them buy for the price, not the quality.
Will be curious to see what you buy and how you like them over the next few years of trails.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Yeah I fully understand what you are saying when you talk about people praising due to the price and I honestly have not seen anyone on the forum put a lot of mileage on a TF kit. I am going to decide in the next couple of days and let you know. Guard dogs go on tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by disco202
Yeah I fully understand what you are saying when you talk about people praising due to the price and I honestly have not seen anyone on the forum put a lot of mileage on a TF kit. I am going to decide in the next couple of days and let you know. Guard dogs go on tomorrow.
FWIW i have 30k on my TF kit and 20k on my Guard dogs.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Wow okay 30k, I'm sorry for the doubt! That makes me think that the TF kit can be reliable. Thanks a lot for the info and I am pumped about the guard dogs and your comment on them made me even happier about deciding to get them I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Terrafirma Shocks... OME or Terrafirma Springs