Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there ANY advantages to owning a land rover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are there ANY advantages to owning a land rover?

Or is it all just novelty?

Im asking this because I desperately want to own one, there resale values are horrible [not that im worried] and it seems like people just want to get rid of them. I hear of almost everything breaking. Is it all just made poorly? Is it practical to own a discovery I over 100k as a daily driver?

What got me is the looks. But other than that does it have anything going for it? I really want one of these but it seems like everything is telling me RUN THE OTHER WAY!!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This question can be generally answered as, YES. Big time... However there are lots of people who own them as novelty's, probably more then actually use them for what they were built for (my opinion).

But to truly answer this question with you in mind we should know more about you. I.E. - are you mechanically inclined, if so how much, what do you want to use this truck for, just daily/street driving, hardcore off-road, what have you driven before, what have you used your past vehicals for, what are you comparing the disco to? ETC.

There are many more questions then this as well, so tell us about yourself...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how mechanically inclined are you? are you willing to work on the truck yourself? most of these older rigs have been neglected and not given the maitenance they need. so stepping into one can sometimes be a scary thing if you don't know what you're looking for. Look around the forum and the discovery section has a what you should look for when buyin thread, read that.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes I am mechanically inclined. I avoid shops at all costs. I can do most anything. But I'd of course rather spend more time driving than fixing my vehicle, and I'd like to abuse my truck s little off road and not be afraid.

I have owned a Nissan 07frontier 4x4 but quickly learned I like older cheaper vehicles. I currently drive a 97 4runner, with non essentials removed, 3"suspension lift 2" body lift 33" bfg mud terrains.

I wheel once or twice a week but nothing serious as we don't have big place or long trails down here just mostly mud or deep water which I hate (mud) but I work with that I have. I do most of my stuff at slow speeds but every now and then I like to do a little baja style racing in the spillways.
A lift is a must and so are off road tires, though I don't have moutains or even hills anywhere near me some of our holes are very easy to bottom out in (more like ditches or potholes) so approach angles and departure agles are important to me.

Most of all I like my vehicles to work and last. Something breaking every week that is expensive or stops me from driving every week is not my cup of tea.

I love Toyota for it's reliability buy love land rovers for teir exotic looks and safari type novelty

Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much lift and what size tires are you planning on? A little lift, 2" and slightly larger tires and you'll be fine as far as axles. The ZF tranny and gear to gear transfer case are very tough IMO.
Just maintain the engine, get rid of the dex-cool and it will be fine. Yeah you might have electrical problems with the DII, but you'll still have a tough drive train to get you home. Make sure you get a year with the CDL (center diff lock) so you can improve off-road ability and get back home if you break a drive shaft.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Pro Wrench

I was looking at a discovery I.

I wondered what cdl was, I had hoped it was a locker.

What will it take to run 285/75/16s.

I was looking to do 4" lift, I know it includes extending a few things.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch

yeah, no such luck. CDL just turns your full time 4x4 into a part time 4x4. which is good on the trails. I'm not sure with a D1 but you can run that size tire with only 3" of lift on the DII and avoid the drive line issues that come with a 4" suspension lift.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch

CDL = Center Differential Lock - it locks the front and back drive shafts so they spin exactly together. Just like on a Toyota FJ Cruiser.

That is a true 33in tire and really wide for a D1. You would need the 4in lift, spacers for the wheels, and some serious cutting on the fenders. And with 4in of lift on a D1 you open Pandora's box with all of the other things you will need to do.

My question's would be this: What's wrong with your 4runner or why wouldn't you want to just keep going on a truck you have already got a good start on? My buddy has one and its pretty capable (of course he has probably $6-10k into the damn thing).

I am not trying to talk you out of a LR (I love them), I am just wondering what makes you want a D1 over your current 4runner?

Either way good luck to you and welcome to the forum...

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Pro Wrench

I love European style vehicles. I previously bought a 1.8t beetle for my fiancé and that's when the love really started. I love bmws audis vws and rovers.

I guess I could go to the altenative and get some 255/85/16s which are 33"s but a little thinner.

Quetion. WHY do rovers use such small tires? I understand the thinner vs wider tire debate. I also hate trucks with excessive lifts usually over 5 inches. BUT why such short tires? I understand there not rock crawlers but they are supposed to be offroad vehicles, in which I don't see how a taller tire can br anything BUT beneficial other than raising center of gravity.

So I want to do 33"s but I'll settle for 265/75/16 if I have to. I have seen rovers with 4" of lift and it's exactly what I'm looking for. In my oppinion stock land rovers look like low riders and Its hard for me to see what they are cable of besides flat ground.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench

To answer your original question; It's the big FU to the greenies and their liberal agenda as you drive past them in their prius' dripping oil and burning fossil fuel at 14 mpg as you head out to enjoy the great outdoors. Revealing how hypocritical they are for claiming to be the ones who love the environment when they live in a concrete prison and shackled by their political correctness, never partaking in the thing they claim to protect.

But thats just one.

Quick Reply: Are there ANY advantages to owning a land rover?