Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to connect an external toggle switch to control door locks on a D2.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to connect an external toggle switch to control door locks on a D2.

I want to hide a toggle switch on the exterior of my D2 that will somehow be connected to my interior door lock toggle switch or the toggle inside the drivers door.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions on type of toggle switch and wiring?

I want to do this because the pin in my drivers door lock has been broken and I'm tired of searching for a new one. My drill isn't good enough to make one out of steel, not potmetal. And a nice replacement is $85. I'm thinking I can make an external toggle switch for about $10 for the switch and wiring.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm thinking I can make an external toggle switch for about $10 for the switch and wiring.
Once you get your parts and figure how to wire the circuit, please get back with a description and wiring diagram. Many of us would be interested. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by discorey
I want to hide a toggle switch on the exterior of my D2 that will somehow be connected to my interior door lock toggle switch or the toggle inside the drivers door.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions on type of toggle switch and wiring?

I want to do this because the pin in my drivers door lock has been broken and I'm tired of searching for a new one. My drill isn't good enough to make one out of steel, not potmetal. And a nice replacement is $85. I'm thinking I can make an external toggle switch for about $10 for the switch and wiring.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Thinking out loud....You might be able to by-pass the bcu to unlock the doors but immobilization will still exist, No?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by coors
Thinking out loud....You might be able to by-pass the bcu to unlock the doors but immobilization will still exist, No?

I'm unsure if that would work because the actual driver's door lock is more analog than mechanical. If I bypass the bcu, I would still need a way to unlock.

Going to try wiring up something. I feel like a 3 position switch can potentially work.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by number9
Once you get your parts and figure how to wire the circuit, please get back with a description and wiring diagram. Many of us would be interested. Thanks.

Yes, once I figure out what works, I'd like to do a write up for the folks who have a broken door lock pin and/or no longer have a door remote.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by discorey
Yes, once I figure out what works, I'd like to do a write up for the folks who have a broken door lock pin and/or no longer have a door remote.
It takes minutes to replace a door pin...

Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
It takes minutes to replace a door pin...
Yeah, and look for the replacement pin that's $15 bucks. Redid mine a few months ago. It's either miami British or some place in Miami. And the replacement is fairly easy.