Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Thermo Help) Overheating... STILL

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default (Thermo Help) Overheating... STILL

Hey guys,

I need some help... hopefully tonight...

I just had my head-gaskets replaced (and a new water pump installed for good measure), and a new "heater plate" gasket installed. This fixed both my leaks, and for three days, my Rover was like new. Then, suddenly while cruising along at 55mph, the heat got cold, and sure enough, the temp needle started to climb. I pulled over, shut it down, and waited for a few minutes. I started it back up, and the temp needle dropped and again heat began blowing.

"Ahhh, the thermostat stuck closed... odd."

Then it was fine until this morning (2 more days), when it did it again just after I took off from home. This time, it took about 10 minutes of waiting and trying before it opened.

Then tonight, it closed and wouldn't open. So, I left it for 4 or 5 hours, since I was only 2 miles from home, I came back and got it home before it completely warmed up.

I had an extra thermostat on hand, so I took 15 minutes and replaced it. I filled all the hoses back up with coolant before clamping each one, to get as much air out of the system as possible.

Then I loosened the bleeder, topped off the reservoir, and fired it up. It idled for almost five minutes before it began building pressure and blowing air out of the bleeder. When water began spraying, I tightened the screw, and let it sit. It didn't get any heat, but the temp looked normal.

I drove it for about a mile, and the heat got nice and hot. But, when I stopped, the heat got colder. "Hmmm, now is the thermostat stuck open?! Well, at least I can drive it now."

I drove 4 miles, and brought it home. Sure enough, as soon as I stop, the air gets cold. I let it idle for 5 minutes while monitoring the temp (perfectly half way up).

I feel the hoses- hard as a freaking rock and hotter than heck. "So it's closed?!"

Then I try the bleeder screw again, air sure enough- freaking steam begins whistling out. I run around and look, and the freaking temp is climbing fast. I shut it off, and here I am.

What the heck is going on here?? TWO bad thermostats? No way in heck. Something else is preventing it from opening, but I have no idea what.

PLEASE give me any help you can...

Thanks friends,

Pat

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how is the pressure in teh coolant lines?

check both sides see if one is significantly different than the other; also are you sure that your serpantine belt was put back on right.... could the water pump be reveresed?

Last edited by elboy0712; 02-19-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you hear any water sound from under the dash, like air rushing though the heater. It doesn't sound like you blead the system properly. You are supposed to elevate the resevoir. The Rave manual has the directions.

Willie

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Winching

Elboy- thanks for your quick reply.

The lines above the thermostat are HARD and HOT.

The line below the thermostat are Semi-Hard and COLD.

What does that mean?

THANK YOU!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Winching

Willie- when I first got it back, I heard the whooshing under the dash- but not after day 1.

I'm pulling up rave.

Friends, I have a terribly sick feeling that this has dropped a liner, or the block is bad. It runs so well, but that's my feeling.

Oh Catholic God, let me be wrong.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Mudding

I wouldnt get too worked up just yet. Im new to the rover game but cooling systems are all the same..... check the routing of your serpantine belt as per the rave manual. and as willie said recheck that you have bled the system properly.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop driving it or you are going to warp your heads and be doing the headgaskets again. Sounds like you may still have a leak. When you bleed the coolant pull out the expansion tank and lift it as high as it will go and keep adding coolant until it comes out the bleed hole. If you don't lift it higher than the heater hoses you will still have air in the system.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Mudding

and there you have a second for lifting the expansion tank... and these two are Rover savvy.... I would listen to that advice

Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Winching

Running to get a bunch more coolant, and I'll give it a proper bleed. I want to fix this tonight. Keep the advice coming, brothers.

THANK YOU ALL.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure about the DII, but on my DI, I can pull the plug on top of radiator.

When my engine warms, I can watch the flow across the rad. when the stat opens

If your's has the plug, can you see bubbles coming thru? (when full)
Often, when the hoses are hard & scorching hot, combustion gases are getting into the coolant. (i know, !@#$%)

I'm surprised w/hard hose the rad cap wouldn't blow.

Did you get new bolts with the head gaskets?

As elboy said, it's not uncommon to misroute the serpentine & run the pump backwards (it still pumps but @ 30%)

Of course you checked the oil for signs of coolant (choc milk shake)

luck,greg

Quick Reply: (Thermo Help) Overheating... STILL