Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thin steel bumper experiment #1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Thin steel bumper experiment #1

The

KingKoopa berzerker bumper Mk.1 has just reached the zygote stage and I'm rather excited.

The game is simple, build a bumper that is lighter than 70lb and stout enough to use a hi lift jack on the outer most edge.

Using 2"x3" 14 ga rectangle tubing and 14ga sheet. Might have some 1/2 round tube supports, triangulated on the back side.

Will not have a spot for a winch, just a 2" Reciever port
​​​

Last edited by KingKoopa; 05-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice! If you have a 2" reciever port you can just get one of
these bad boys these bad boys
and a wire in
power hookups power hookups

Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's exactly what I was planning

Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Looking good.

Brian.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see you making your own bumper. I want to pick up a welder and tackle my own bumpers some day.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

What kind of saw are you using for that? I really want a dry cut saw, but for now I'm stuck with the abrasive chop saw. Devil machine.

I built a bumper using scraps out of necessity. Pretty sh*t, honestly, but one of these years I'm going to take the time and money to actually build something that isn't trash. Plus, my fabrication skill have come a long ways since I built her. Maybe I'll even copy my original design and just not do a sh*tty job.

Very nice looking so far on yours though! I love how slim it's looking. Are you going to box in in front of the frame rails any?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
What kind of saw are you using for that? I really want a dry cut saw, but for now I'm stuck with the abrasive chop saw. Devil machine.

I built a bumper using scraps out of necessity. Pretty sh*t, honestly, but one of these years I'm going to take the time and money to actually build something that isn't trash. Plus, my fabrication skill have come a long ways since I built her. Maybe I'll even copy my original design and just not do a sh*tty job.

Very nice looking so far on yours though! I love how slim it's looking. Are you going to box in in front of the frame rails any?
Have a pic of your bumper?

I've used a chop saw, a portaban, and an angle grinder so far. I hate all of them.

Honestly my fab skils are pretty lacking and I'm not super confident in my welding ability or my machine, but I like to wing it lol.

Yes the brackets are gonna be slash cut back down to the frame rail and a big sheet will span the gap between the mounts and will also be the front of the "box" of the mounts.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Sure. Here's a decent one.

Name:  vXbqKS8.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  3.66 MB

I actually like the portable band saw pretty good as long as I have a sturdy vice. Same for the angle grinder, honestly. The vice is necessary, though. I'd really love a nice dry cut saw, though. I wish you could just put a dry cut blade on a chop saw, but they spin too fast by a good amount. I do have access to a plasma cutter at my school which is nice when it's running right, but she can be hit or miss. Probably doesn't help that I haven't figured out the settings all that well.

You using flux core? That's what I use at home, but we've got nice big miller machines at school and the school buys gas and wire. Honestly a really nice setup. I just use a little 110v mig welder. Lotos brand I think. Came with a regulator and everything, I just need to pony up and buy a tank for the gas.

I understand liking to wing it. My first project was an exhaust system. Butt welded 16ga steel, flux core wire (burns hotter), no welding gloves, garage floor, and one handed because all I had was a hand held always dark mask. Needless to say that's a quick way to learn. Heavier materials make you lazy, I think, or at least they do me. Too easy to not burn through so you just crank up the voltage and lay wire. Thinner material you have to get good at setting your voltage and wire speed correctly.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Second trimester.

Stuff I'm learning:
1. Even after tacking at many points, metal still warps like crazy. When it's all said and done I don't think anyone will notice, but I'm definitely irritated at how much things move after welding.

2. I HATE grinders. I already knew this but I relearn every time I fabricate something. One of these days I'm going to force a cutting disk to shatter and just end it...

3. I'm awesome and this bumper is going to make the Black Pearl look like a stone cold fox!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Quick Reply: Thin steel bumper experiment #1