Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I'm gonna make the plunge: 2001 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I'm gonna make the plunge: 2001 Disco II

It looks promising; Im going to test drive tomorrow and see if it runs as good as it looks. I stumbled on an '01 for $9500. It needs 2 tires and the spare is shot. A minor tear in the drivers seat, small knicks and scuffs in the paint (mostly door dings), but otherwise looks fantastic.

I have done a bunch of learning on LR and specifically the Disco series. I have test drove about 10 in the past 3 weeks, mostly DI's. This will be my first look at a DII.

Question for you veterans:

Any known issues with 01 series II?

Also, for what its worth, Ima car guy (VW/Audi mostly) and have a few sites I regular for my hobby; one thing I noticed is Bilstien shocks fit the Disco (only HD though, no Sport )... I had a set of Sports on my Passat and loved them! Any experience with these? Anyway, shox.com has a set of 4 for under 4 bills if anybody is looking.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Think I'm gonna make the plunge: 2001 Disco II

seems decent on paper...make sure no real rust on any of the door frames/under the roof gutters....check for evidence of water leaks...any clicks pops in steering bad, open the hood and turn on, rev it, make sure everything seems good...look if a lot of fluid is leakin from the engine--oil, front and rear differentials...uhm...basically see if all the electronics work on the inside, and thats about it...yes i have bilsteins on my 97 disco 1 and they are fine, you should be able to find a better price than that shox.com quote i would imagine....good luck!

*edit: the prices on those bilsteins from that site are decent actually, my bad! you say under 4 i was thinkin like 380, not 290 for bils..hell the konis are just 330 not even bad...

Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you planning on doing alot of wheeling with this truck? If so, one thing you need to be aware of is what is called a CDL or locking transfer case. When Rover came out with the DII they added a feature called ETC, electric traction control, and they removed the t/case linkage so although you still have a t/case with all thew working parts you can't use it. 99 and 00's have the t/case and with a little modification you can use it and its great off the road, by the way it is standard on the D1's.
I bough a 99 and switched it back and it is all the difference in the world. All that being said, if you plan to play hard maybe add some lockers and a lift, go 99 or 00.
Mike

Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Three Wheeling

if his 2001 was built..i think before june of 01, then it will have the ABILITY to lock it (aftermarket kits from a wide varety of land rover parts suppliers), it was late 2001 models that cannot be locked at all....with that in mind 2004 saw the reemergence of a manual Center Differential Lock...late 01, all 02, all 03 CANNOT manuall lock the CDL....but if you dont plan on off roading at all, then it doesnt matter which you buy!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling

check it out completely before you buy. get the maintainence records, receipts, etc. Have someone that knows rovers look at the vehicle. They are very different. If the receipts are not there, the maintainence is not kept up. A poorly maintained rover will probably be a nightmare. I well maintained one will probably never leave you stranded. I have a 96 disco with 130k, no major problems. I keep it correct. It has a few dings. I use it the way it was designed to be used. I am not a pavement jockey.
hope it helps, gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 05-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input gents (ladies?)...

I ended up with a '99 disco II with 90,000 miles. It is an SE7 and the interior, exterior and engine compartment all look fantastic. I purchased it in Denver and drove it home yesterday (to Salt Lake).

I got about 17 miles per gallon; WAY more than I expected. Is this normal?

anyway, since I spent more than I had planned, major mods are getting pushed back. but a small lift and lockers will be first; hopefully by the end of the year.

Right now, I need a roof basket and maybe a brush guard/winch mount/skid plate.

any strong opinions?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HorizonDesire

Thanks for the input gents (ladies?)...

I ended up with a '99 disco II with 90,000 miles. It is an SE7 and the interior, exterior and engine compartment all look fantastic. I purchased it in Denver and drove it home yesterday (to Salt Lake).

I got about 17 miles per gallon; WAY more than I expected. Is this normal?

anyway, since I spent more than I had planned, major mods are getting pushed back. but a small lift and lockers will be first; hopefully by the end of the year.

Right now, I need a roof basket and maybe a brush guard/winch mount/skid plate.

any strong opinions?
So how much planning are you going to be doing?
I would suggest you do all the fluids and plug wores to start. The wires are real hard to do, but if they are factory, they will need replacing, suggest 8mm. Magnacor wires. Next, check the front drive shaft where it attaches to the t/case. This is a double cardon joint that came from the factory without grease fittings. If they still don't have the grease fittings, that will be the first thing you will want to replace or you will loose your transmission when they break.
17 MPG is great especially in Denver.
Next modification should be reconverting your t/case so you can lock it, CDL, this is a must if you plan on some good Colorado wheeling especially if you are going to lockers.
Don't do the brush bar, winch thing, you to a new front bumper and winch tray.
I will be moving to Parker the end of this month with my 99DII. If you want to see what 3 plus years of modifications will do for your's we should get together.
Mike

Old 05-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

So how much planning are you going to be doing?
I would suggest you do all the fluids and plug wores to start. The wires are real hard to do, but if they are factory, they will need replacing, suggest 8mm. Magnacor wires. Next, check the front drive shaft where it attaches to the t/case. This is a double cardon joint that came from the factory without grease fittings. If they still don't have the grease fittings, that will be the first thing you will want to replace or you will loose your transmission when they break.
17 MPG is great especially in Denver.
Next modification should be reconverting your t/case so you can lock it, CDL, this is a must if you plan on some good Colorado wheeling especially if you are going to lockers.
Don't do the brush bar, winch thing, you to a new front bumper and winch tray.
I will be moving to Parker the end of this month with my 99DII. If you want to see what 3 plus years of modifications will do for your's we should get together.
Mike
Mike,

Actually, I purchased in (near) Denver, but live in (near) Salt Lake, though I would love a shot at checking out your rig. Maybe we can arrange a Rover meet some weekend this summer (?).

My immediate plan is to drop it at a dealership for a 150 point checkup; a local friend and Rover nut has a friend who works there in the service department. I will proceed with the fluids and wires; they seem easy enough and without knowing the previous owner, it seems like prudent preventative procedures.

Can you recommend a "kit" to convert the T-Case? Is this something a car nut (but new to Rovers) can do in a garage full of tools?

Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Make sure when you do your fluids that you use synthetics, which is what it came with from the factory except the tranny, and I use it ther also. Don't forget the power steering and brake fluids, many people for get them. If you can use a bottle of Lucas p/s additive with your p/s and their tranny additive for the tranny, great results.
As for the CDL. I used a great solonoid set up instead of replacing the shifter, can't remember the company but I'll try and track it down for you and yes, you could do this in your front yard. Don't forget to check out the front cardon for 2 grease fittings, replace them if they are not installed.
E-mail me at mikeljacobs@***.net and leave me a message to the CDL parts supplier so I don't forget.
Mike