Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think its time for front shock replacment

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think its time for front shock replacment

I've got a squeaking sound coming from drivers side when I hit a bump and the overall ride has been degraded. Checked my steering stabilizer, its got alot of play, need to change that too. Any advise on what's a good place to buy descent shocks and stabilizer?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shock choice is going to depend on what you want to do with the truck. Do you have plans to lift it? If you do you might be better off just getting the kit and going for it rather than spend money for shocks now and spend it again once you lift it.

If you have no plans to lift it you want stock length shocks. Do you use this as a daily driver, or is it a weekend trail rig? I put Monroe SensaTracs on my DI, they were cheap and available locally. I have zero complaints about them, my truck rides smooth on the highway and they work well for the limited wheeling I do. They were under $200 for all 4 with the tax. Terra Firma and ProComp also sell reasonable shocks for these trucks.

I don't run a steering stabilizer. They tend to mask problems with the steering.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Mudding

I do some off roadin, but not a whole lot and ya its my daily ride, for now. Not going to lift it, but Iheard about some bilstiens that add an inch wouldnt mind that...

Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The shocks don't add an inch. No shocks do, the shocks don't support the truck, the springs do, the shocks slow down the spring compression and rebound giving a smooth ride.

You can replace Monroe's twice + for what the 'steins cost. My truck had 'steins on it when I got it, the ride is better with the Monroe's I put on about 4 years ago.

Might give Justin @ Lucky8 a call and see what he would suggest.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

At your mileage, you should be replacing all 4 of them along with your steering stabilizer.
Because of the top heaviness of our Discos, I alway recommend the better shocks to help prevent body roll, like the Old Man Emu, Bilstein or either of the Iron Man shocks, less expensive shocks won't give you the ride you want.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
At your mileage, you should be replacing all 4 of them along with your steering stabilizer.
Because of the top heaviness of our Discos, I alway recommend the better shocks to help prevent body roll, like the Old Man Emu, Bilstein or either of the Iron Man shocks, less expensive shocks won't give you the ride you want.
Yup I'm sold, goin for the OME with OME springs as well. I miss being able to fly through the mud and not spill my coffee.lol Thanks for the tip

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Which OME coils will you be going to, how much of a lift do you want and will you, at some point, go for a winch and bumper which will also go towards which coils to order?