Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was

I stared reading this forum a few days ago because I was thinking of buying an olderDiscovery. I'm not so sure now. My question is how much of these extra gadgets that seem to give all the problems(sensors, ecm's seat heaters etc)can youstrip off and still have it run properly. Can you get manual windows for these things? I was looking to buy one to strip down for an Outer Banks surf fishing vehicle. Creature comforts are not on my list. I'll even strip the carpet out and Rhino linethe inside. I initially liked theperceived ruggedness of the Land Rovers but now my opinion has swayed a bit. Talk me into buying or send me elsewhere with your opinions please. Thankyou.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 AM
4wd Low
Default RE: Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was

You probably need to start looking at the defender, not many bells and whistles on that jewel. I have a 2003 Disco, purchased new. This is a fantastic vehicle, but very complex, many systems with potential for giving trouble.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:42 AM
4th Gear

I'd completely agree that a Defender would fit the bill exactly. Based on your description of what you need I can't think of a more appropriate vehicle. You would not be dissapointed.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Yep, thats what got me thinking of a Land Rover in the first place. There is one for sale on a car lot here in town that I looked at but wow! 90k and $27,000. While it would seem like a totally justifiable purchase to me the wife would say there is no way I am going to pay that much for a "jeep". Hence the Discoveries. There seem to be some really good deals on those for well under 10 grand. Is there a reason why the resale on those is so terrible? Is it all perception of unreliability or is alot of it true?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Mudding

There are times when a Jeep fits the bill. I've had many, many Jeeps. If you could find a nice mid 80s CJ-7, you could do darn near anything with it. Simple as an Erector Set. Even a Wrangler would work. You could buy a dozen CJs for the price of a low mileage Defender.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that since people really get attached to their Rovers, the only way they'll sell it, is if they are facing numerous expensive bills. That said, it explains the poor resale value, and warns you that although you think you'regetting a deal, you should expect to spit at least a couple of grand to fix wathever needs to be fixed.

To set as an example, I purchased a 2000 Disco which was very well looked after and although I thought I was stealing this vehicle, I had to spend about $2000.00 to fix intake,valve,front and oil pan gaskets on top of O2 sensors and exhaust manifold repairs, changed the spark plugs and flushed and replaced the brake and ACE oil.

My SLS pump died, so I went ahead and spent another $2000.00 for a full OME suspension with coil conversion and 5 new tires. In the near future, I'll have to replace the spark plug wires, front left tie rod , rear left door actuator and soon after the rear right actuator and rear door actuator ( both still working, but weekening) then the brakes.......

But when things are fixed, it's really a nice vehicle to drive. But ,if unlike me, you do not HAVE to have a Disco, I'd go for a Jeep wranglerunlimited. Myother vehicle which I'm still debating wether or not I'll be selling it, is a Jeep TJ which is far more reliable right off the bat. But maybe similar to a fixed Disco.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I use my Disco on the OBXwith absolutely no problems. It drives over that loose sand much better than the Jeeps, Suburbans, and Tahoes I've previously driven. Just drop the tire pressure down to 20 lbs and you're good to go in the worst sand the Outer Banks has to offer. I'm even using the 18" Hurricane wheels and get great sand performance with low tirepressure. There's nothing wrong with having a few creature comforts along the way,and the Discovery manages to combineeffective off-roadingand luxury features very well.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM
5th Gear

Thankyou for the input guys. Gosh I was really starting to like the Rovers but for a guy who doesn't have the time or inclination to do any complex repairs maybe I shouldlook elsewhere. I did have an olderGrand Wagoneer on the OBX for a short time and it went great andmy kids really like the Wranglers. I see a couple of the older safari type Land Rovers around town (70's maybe)but I don't know if I want to go that far back. Since I have to drive 350 miles to get to the OBX I would like something that would at least do the speed limit on the interstate.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling

I have to side with the majority on this one. For what you're looking for, I think you'd be better off with astripped-down Jeep. Even if you wanted more of an "SUV" than a CJ or Wrangler, you could probably buy an old V8 Grand Cherokee for half the cost of a Disco.With the left-overmoney, or moneythat youmight spend justto get a Discobuttoned up (things like Darover mentioned), you could turn a stock Jeep into apretty capable off-roader(wheels, tires, lift, etc.).

I had a '94 Grand Cherokee with the 318 and it had 230k on it when I got rid of it (and was still going strong). The upkeep on that rig was wayless than the Disco.....and when it did need something, parts were plentiful and cheap.

Even though the resale values are poor, part of what you're paying for with a Land Rover is the perception/statusof a "luxury" vehicle. In my opinion, if you're going to strip away a lot of what gives it that luxury classification, you're going to pay more than you have to for what you need.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 AM

What about a Series III? Those can still be found at a decent price and I think it would really fit the bill for the Guy.Don't turn the poor fellow into one of those Beach Jeep Fruitcakes!....Good God Man,think of the Children!!!LOL!

Quick Reply: Thinkin' of buying a disco-well at least I was