Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a Discover II

Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you— this is all I need to hear. I really cant have a vehicle in the shop all the time. $12k seems cheap unless that is followed by thousands per year of repairs

Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsauer@msn.com
Thank you— this is all I need to hear. I really cant have a vehicle in the shop all the time. $12k seems cheap unless that is followed by thousands per year of repairs
Cheap?

D2's can be bought for half that or less. 12k is crazy money right now.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:37 AM
5th Gear

It seems like that is what they are selling for on eBay if they are in decent condition. Some are as high as $16k . $12k is cheap for a vehicle. Even spending $2000 per year on maintenance isn’t much compared to buying a used F-150 with 100k miles for $25k that is continually depreciating in value. This is my logic flawed as it may be.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you— this is all I need to hear. I really cant have a vehicle in the shop all the time.

sorry but they love the shop and take up your time. You need money or mechanic skills or a combination of both to own one. They are fickle and allot of times you end up dumping cash into it for nothing. You can learn using these forums. But if your not mechanically inclined it's slow and tedious. I had an engine noise .. dumped lots of parts and cash into it .. the noise never went away .. then it decided to go away for a few months for no reason .. now it's back. I don't know what it is or how to fix it. It only goes a few months before it needs something else. Heres a list of TLC it needs right now

Drag link rod replacement
brake pad replacement (it ran out of gas)
upper hose replacement
coolant flush
radiator replacement
shrouad replacement
e fan install
guard install
window guard install
cb wire replace
headliner install
cruise control module replace
air manifold hose replace
plate warmer + tube replace
bearings replace
diff fluid drain fill
turn signal replace

and that doesn't include adding a LED light bar or PA speaker. I also need ot paint it and paint the wheel rims plus add rubber floor mats and replace the front seat cushion

if you have the time your better off getting a less expensive Rover that needs allot of simple things ..and leaning how to restore it .. and maintain it ...even if you blow 12k on this it will need repairs guaranteed ..

But you will own a Rover ..

Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 AM
5th Gear

But would I be correct that $2000 per year in repairs is to be expected? Still a cheap and awesome looking vehicle. Especially if there isn’t any aesthetic improvements that need to be made like paint, etc.

If I get it inspected by a rover shop and they don’t find any issues I think $2000 per year isn’t bad

Old 04-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

But would I be correct that $2000 per year in repairs is to be expected? Still a cheap and awesome looking vehicle. Especially if there isn’t any aesthetic improvements that need to be made like paint, etc.

If I get it inspected by a rover shop and they don’t find any issues I think $2000 per year isn’t bad
A word of caution from a new Disco 2 noob. Nothing is as it seems with these trucks.

I was looking for a project for my son and I to keep us busy on the weekends. So I bought a 2004 for $3000. I knew it had a blown head gasket but I figured I could take care of that. The interior was is in really good shape. I spent $1500 getting new coils, gaskets, plugs, wires, 02 sensors and some tools for a maintenance refresh. Finally got the heads pulled off and found a chunk of aluminum missing from the decking and one of the sleeves slipped. So I went ahead and pulled the engine, bought a used bare block and it is at the machine shop waiting on new parts for the short block. Just found the shocks trashed when I did a thorough undercarriage inspection yesterday. All told, below is what I have spent so far and the estimated cost to "complete" the D2.
  1. $3000 - purchase
  2. $1500 - maintenance parts and tools
  3. $825 - bare block
  4. $500 - more tools and cherry picker
  5. $1000 - machining and assembly work
  6. $1300 - engine rebuild parts
  7. $860 - shock and coil replacement kit
Total (so far) - $8925

Next to do (that I know of)
  1. $800 - tires
  2. $300 - front drive shaft
  3. $1500 - front and rear bumper
  4. $400 - brakes
In my limited experience, all this stuff seems like it needs to be replaced for a 15 year old vehicle so I would suggest buy cheap, replace the common failure points and you'll at least know what you have. In my neck of the woods, you can pick up a rover for $3-5k.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!