Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a Discovery II...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Reeves
Why does every body bash 03's or worry about the death range????? ALL of them have been taken care of under recall and if they weren't then the motor would have expired by now. If you dont need a CDL then they are fantastic. I own a 03 in the death range and its my daily driver and regualy tow up and down the east coast from Baltimore to Florida or Baltimore to Vermont and back towing a trialer with a big ATV or boat and have no issues with mine. Yes I have done the 60k service my front drive shaft has been done and I have fitted a motor rad T/stat. I paid below odds from a road side trader and its been the best investment, appart from SWMBO complaining about the gas milage. Get an Ultra Gauge EM to watch the temp and do the service and front prop.

um..I wasn't bashing the 03... look at my sig... I have an 03 daily driver in the death range with no oil pump issue, so I'm hoping mine is fine. Yeah you're right... most would have died and or been taken care of by now. and yes they are fantastic, but I figured he may want a heads up about any possible issues before buying, rather than after.
lighten up...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I notice some guys are very quick to get defensive when we post possible hick-ups that the land rovers have or have given other owners we know.... Guys we are all here because we own one or maybe for the less fortunate one had to get rid of one. Your best knowledge about a land rover will come from someone who has worked on several like Disco Mike or some of the other seniors on this forum. At any rate you have to understand that the disco has a very finicky computer system and they tend to have overheating issues. So there are service write ups here letting any new rover owners or people considering purchasing a rover about what needs to be checked out or what needs to be done to get the disco in tip-top condition. Most people that go to the dealers and buy these trucks New don't give a **** about the maintenance because they will get rid of them before it breaks. Thats where we all come in and keep them going or bring them back from the dead. Anyway you buy your rover kid and roll your sleeves up and get dirty, download "rave" and do your required maintenance and then some and enjoy your truck they will take you anywhere you want to go if you treat them right!

Last edited by kc disco guy; 06-22-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey, Rovers are good vehicles, especially when you consider they come from the UK.
If you find one you like, especially since you are not mechanically inclined, take it to a good Rover mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection so you know what you are buying.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Mudding

Seems that everything has been covered for the most part so I'll just add this. Fixing the ABS unit is stupid easy, the parts are $150 and there is a step by step write up on how to do it yourself. The hardest thing with this job is bleeding the brakes, and it isn't really that hard you just have to take your time and get all the air out of the system afterward (you'll know there is air because the brake peddle will be more spongy than usual).

Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree. If you can wrench, then these are easy vehicles - all the known issues are "out there" and there are a lot of guys parting them out...
I'd still try to avoid one with SAI though LOL...

Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Always remember, if you do get a Disco and have a problem, everyone here is more than willing to help!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jafir
if you don't work on them yourself you might want to have a reserve of about $2000 for repairs. That will get you head gaskets or halfway to a used engine.
best pre-purchase advise ever!