Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Land Rover Discovery as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not recommend a discovery for your first vehicle. They're not for the feint of heart. if you want a solid 4x4 platform, buy a Cherokee to start. Not great on fuel, but better than the rover. Same basic power output as the rover with the inline 6cyl... but parts will be half the price. Not even half the amount of electronics as the rover.

I would also second the Miata. If you don't mind being razzed a bit by your buddies it's awesome fun on short money.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
I would not recommend a discovery for your first vehicle. They're not for the feint of heart. if you want a solid 4x4 platform, buy a Cherokee to start. Not great on fuel, but better than the rover. Same basic power output as the rover with the inline 6cyl... but parts will be half the price. Not even half the amount of electronics as the rover.

I would also second the Miata. If you don't mind being razzed a bit by your buddies it's awesome fun on short money.
Believe me, I would like nothing more than to have a Miata or something similar to it. Unfortunately though, I'm plagued with a 5 month winter... So the practicality isn't really there.

Last edited by Lamcops; 04-22-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota 4runner = end thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
Toyota 4runner = end thread
I was looking at those, but they hold their value extremely well...

The only ones in my price range were either in really bad shape or had 180k+ miles on them...

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a 1999 Disco 2 with top hat liners and a complete rebuild on the engine in your price range. It includes a custom roller rocker arm system as well. Mileage is 88k and going up. I drive it every day. New tires with about 5k on them. You can look up the listing here on the site. It is in very good shape and will be a 100K reliable driver for you.

MAK

Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree with most of the folks here - don't get a Discovery right now.

My recommendation: Subaru impreza/wagon - perfect for high school and college (you can store a whole dorm room's worth of stuff in it). Decent gas mileage, super reliable. If you can swing it, go for a WRX (the turbo model).

As the others said, save your time/money for getting a good education, then you'll be able to buy and enjoy the toys later in life (a little delayed gratification never hurt anyone).

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Based on your list for other 4x4's and you being a student on a budget, I'd shoot for a '90s Tahoe/Full-size Blazer. The 350's are solid motors, parts are dirt cheap, and they're easy to work on. I had a 1994 full-size blazer and it never failed me even with 230k on it.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamcops
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

It sounds like everything I was worried about seems to be true, which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure if it would be correct to ask here, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on my alternatives... I live in Minnesota, and out of town at that, so a car with 4 wheel drive is pretty much a must. I might be a bit ambitious, but I have found the following cars in my price range that I am interested in. Keep in mind that gas mileage isn't much of a factor as long as it is above 14.

2002 Mercury Mountaineer
2002 Mitsubishi Montero
2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS
2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2000 Isuzu Trooper/Acura SLX
1999 Infiniti QX4

Doing research on these things, I wonder if it might just be better to get an old Tahoe or something of the sort...

Again, thanks for the help.
I got a Disco as a first car. It's been a a joy and pain but an experience to say the least. My Disco is better now than when i started though. Montero's are excellent 4x4's, 2001 model all the way. I still think about getting rid of the Disco for one every now and then.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by racerxnet
-snip-
I would love to take you up on your offer, but the other fellas have scared me away! At that price, though, I'm sure it won't last long...

At this point I'm seriously considering either the Mitsubishi Montero (I like the LXS, however they are harder to find at my price point...) or a Jeep Cherokee.

I'm probably starting to drag this topic on, but thanks for all of the help!

Last edited by Lamcops; 04-22-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My offspring is finishing the first year of college, driving "her" D1. I can't imagine the extra drain on time available for college persuits (class, projects, friends, etc.) that wrenching on an expensive vehicle of any type would be. Get a beater and save at least half of your money for repairs. As soon as it becomes known that you have a vehicle on campus you'll have lots of new friends. If you select a vehicle that has many of the same type in the local junk yards you'll have a cheap souce of parts.

BTW I had a Montero Sport and put 295K miles on it. Never even changed the plugs.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Land Rover Discovery as a first car