Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of buying a 2004 disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help!

Sorry, had my caps lock key on.

On the contrary, I am happy to see so much interest around these vehicles that I love and have owned for years.

I think that the 2004 is great and that mapmanyu got a bargain on his.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: unimoged

Sorry, had my caps lock key on.

On the contrary, I am happy to see so much interest around these vehicles that I love and have owned for years.

I think that the 2004 is great and that mapmanyu got a bargain on his.

i am getting more in love with these rigs.

i would love to buy a 110 some day

Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That whirring the woman you spoke to described was more than likely the fan. My truck doesn't sound like a 4.0 V8, my friends call it The Ghost. It has a constant whirring noise that is significantly louder than the engine, it's simply because I couldn't afford an OEM viscous fan drive when my water pump failed so I used an aftermarket one from Rovers North that obviously isn't the same quality as OEM. Basically all it means is that my cooling fan is on 95% of the time the truck is running. It's not an issue at all. The reason she heard it on start up has to do with the way the viscous drive works. All the fluid in it settles as the truck is off and when you restart it the fan is forced to turn, thus creating the "ghost" noise that my friends hear.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Mudding

You will never know what the woman was hearing exactly. The viscous clutch on the fan will do it too. Also, it could have been the infamous moaning noise at idle that comes from the serpentine belt and the associated pulleys. The disco engine is "alive" and it will make different sounds and noises based on outside temperature, mileage, cold / hot, etc.

That is what makes them fun to own. A GM US designed engine, a German transmission by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, electronics by Bosch and Lucas and body and frame by the British who are the best coach builders.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
4wd High

Thank you to all the responders - makes me feel a lot better. I did a 50 mile drive today, and it drove like a champ. No service lights, no noises, nothing.

Anyway, I will start preparing for the 60k service now - I remember reading a post where Disco Mike has posted all the parts and associated servicing. Thanks for the tip on rebuilding the driveshaft - definitely my top priority now.

Cheers!