Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying.. any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying.. any thoughts?

I really know nothing at all about the LR vehicles other than I think they look cool.

There is a 2004 SE7 in town with 40k miles for $19k

What advice, comments, warnings can you give me? What should I look for, what should I avoid? Are there certains years with more problems than others? etc...

Thanks for your time.

Pope

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of buying.. any thoughts?

Don't start worrying too much regarding the 04's, they are pretty refined over the older models.
Does this truck have any factory warranty left? You should consider buying Rovers extended warranty for additional assurance.
Try and deal down on the price, start at least $1000 lower.
This will make you a great truck.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of buying.. any thoughts?

If you really don't know nothing about Land rover vehicles, I think that it would be wise to not jump on the first one that comes along and take some time to learn a bit about Land rover and the different models. On the very top of this page, first line, you'll see the word 'search'. By clicking on this, and typing some key words on the subject you which to learn about, you'llfind all kinds of discussions that have already taken part on the chosen topic.

Welcome aboard, and in the end, I hope you won't get scared off by what you will find out and end up with the vehicle that suites you best.

Now.....to answer your question: General beliefis that the 2004 discovery is best last year they were built and therefore the best year to buy. Now, I would not take this for cash. Having been around Land Rover for close to 2 years, I can affirm that in my area, the Land Rover people that I've come to knowthat own 2004s ( 5 altogether), have just as much, if not more problems than other years.The one good thing that the 2004s have, or had over the older years, is that they still are, ornot too long ago were under warranty.and therefore the problems were fixed under warranty.

With this said, if you're gonna buy a 2004, make sure it still has a warranty andsince it will expire this year (4 years), make sure to get the LAND ROVER extended warranty. The other aftermarket warranties are known to find any excuse possible to not fixing whatever goes wrong.

If you can't get a 2004 with an extended warranty, I would suggest paying half of the price you're talking about for a 1999 to 2001 low mileageD2and therefore having alower monthly payment that allows you to face any eventuality. If you were gonna pay cash, It would allow you to modify your Rover the way you really want it and have money in the bank for the unforseenand still be far from the price of the 2004.

Don't forget that people that claim that the 2004s are the most reliable Discovery, are comparing vehicles that are 3-4 years old, with ones that are 7-9 years old !!!!

I drive a 2000 D2 with 58000 miles, on which I spent close to $6000.00 to bring back up to par. Everything has been done on it.( coil conversion with old man emu suspension lift,head gasket, front gasket,ignition wires,driveshaft,y-pipe, new custom radiator,tranny filter, synthetics in tranny, power steering, Ace system,brake fluid,axles,new oem cd changer and justthis week, all doors actuators) Well, everythingexcept for the brakes that I should do sometime this year before I start seing the famous 3 amigos, wich have never been seen on this truck.

So I would challenge any 2004 to see who goes to the garage the most within the next couple of years. You have to compare apples with apples and I'm still some 5-6 grands from the price of a 2004.

Search it well and good luck.

Darover