Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading up to discoII

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I like the DII as a driver and the looks, but being realistic there is no way I would own one unless it was a TD5.
I'm talking about owning one for a long period of time.
I think you would find owning one is not a bad as some make it out on here.
Unless you get a total POS, which I will admit, there are more of those in the 2003 and 2004 range. Even the 2002 starting seeing more and more issues.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Unless you get a total POS, which I will admit, there are more of those in the 2003 and 2004 range. Even the 2002 starting seeing more and more issues.
I like read heads with DD's...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default the grail...

Originally Posted by Spike555
I have driven every Land Rover except 4, a Series, a RRC, Defender and the LR4, I will be driving one of them this summer.
Yes I have even driven a RR and a RRSport.
I REALLY like the new RR and would buy one in a heart beat as long as I did not have to pay for repairs.
I like the DII as a driver and the looks, but being realistic there is no way I would own one unless it was a TD5.

Listen to someone who knows..... Spike speaks the truth.... Why do you think they de value over 25% per year... They are geared for the rich dumb ***'s.... how the hell can you say that a truck selling for $38,000.00 in 2004... and five years later can be bought for $6,000.00 a deal.. It's a big POS... Hello.....My local indy shop has over 60 in his junk stable.... You are rolling the dice on used bungie cord... If you can get a shell and repower it ...thats a real option that may take you somewhere...and TDI...well you have to be a real idiot not to... Could you imagine these 4.6 engines in semi trucks? the shipping industry would grind to a complete halt....

Last edited by vandev; 07-01-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Camdisco24

Cam,.... its bad unless you have big dollars to make it right... i have owned for over 10 years now....i still have friends with RRC going on 300,000 miles and they laugh with my problems as well as anyone who knows these trucks....oh excuse me....POS trucks....I equate the discovery to a My M4 rifle... They are accurate, and run well in pristine conditions.... add sand , mud , getting stuck in traffic or for that matter ...everyday driving and they will rear there ugly head and fail you....If i was on a behind enemy lines mission waiting for extraction and someone on my team said LR is comming to extract us...i would put my glock in my mouth and get it over with.... Sorry, like the truck but completely unreliable...I know you would not fly in one...

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned both....

DII is more refined on road, but still rugged off road. I like the stock look of the DII over the DI. DiscoMike has a DII, that has to say something about them!

My '96 DI blew up at 122K on the highway.....my '02 DII has 117K original headgaskets, original drive-shaft. It has not blown up (fingers & toes crossed, knock on wood)......................yet

X5 on keeping your DI (if you can), the amount of money you'll get selling it or trading it in is probably worth just keeping it.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Discovery II is up to 190,000 miles now. It runs good, of coarse that after I rebuilt half of the truck. I am just going to keep it maintained the best I can and get as many miles out of it as possible. This is my first and last Land Rover. I will buy a turbo diesel truck next.

Willie

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 DII SE with 150k miles on it. I bought it 4 1/2 yrs ago with 65k and have done quite a bit to it including, propshaft, abs modulator, and head gasket job. And I do not regret any of it! Owning a Land Rover Discovery is definitely an unexplainable passion that only an owner of one can understand.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vandev
Cam,.... its bad unless you have big dollars to make it right... i have owned for over 10 years now....i still have friends with RRC going on 300,000 miles and they laugh with my problems as well as anyone who knows these trucks....oh excuse me....POS trucks....I equate the discovery to a My M4 rifle... They are accurate, and run well in pristine conditions.... add sand , mud , getting stuck in traffic or for that matter ...everyday driving and they will rear there ugly head and fail you....If i was on a behind enemy lines mission waiting for extraction and someone on my team said LR is comming to extract us...i would put my glock in my mouth and get it over with.... Sorry, like the truck but completely unreliable...I know you would not fly in one...
I smell a PILE OF BS. If you are ever in the need of extraction you'll ride with a one legged man on a unicycle and be willing kiss is *** when he gets you out. As for M4's i trusted my life to mine every day in the places you've only see on CNN and it got me back State side. What the heck unit were you in where they issues you a Glock?

Your posts have more drama that "days of their lives" and have about as many facts too.

Last edited by range_time; 07-04-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default whats a LR without drama...

Originally Posted by range_time
I smell a PILE OF BS. If you are ever in the need of extraction you'll ride with a one legged man on a unicycle and be willing kiss is *** when he gets you out. As for M4's i trusted my life to mine every day in the places you've only see on CNN and it got me back State side. What the heck unit were you in where they issues you a Glock?

Your posts have more drama that "days of their lives" and have about as many facts too.

Well if you are sitting in your truck yes....I try to shed a lighter side of humor on to all the catosrtophic failures that LR 's are all to acustomed too...i have owned for over 10 years so i know...not everything but enough to not be in denial. i like the truck but it is a PILE...like any car or truck....this one just takes alot more $$ and time to make acceptable... And no, i was getting out of the service when they started making glocks....crap i think that was 82...ugggg... anyway glad you made it back safe... Happy 4th....Huuhaa....

Last edited by vandev; 07-04-2010 at 09:24 AM.