Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos are Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos are Gone!

I just had my 2000 Discovery three amigos extinguished. This problem plagued me for a while. Initially the ABS/TC/HDC worked ok but the lights were on. Then recently the ABS/TC/HDC stopped working. I had the brakes done, new rotors, pads, fluid flushed etc... Still no relief from the darn lights and still no ABS.

The Land Rover dealership nearby wanted in excess of $5k to get the system working again. A couple of people recommended a mechanic who was once with Land Rover. I took it to him a couple of weeks ago. He invited me into his workshop while he hooked up his disgnostic computer to the SLABS ECU. He took the time to explain to me what the fault codes meant and what he thought the cause was, told me my options and gave me an estimate on the cost to repair.

I have never found a mechanic so open with his shop and so willing to explain to me how the system operated and what conditions might make it fail. He cleared the fault codes for me and I was on my way. He did say that the lights may stay off for a while but for sure they would come back on.

The lights were off for two weeks. As suspected the reappeared again. So I took it in this morning. All is well now after installing a modulator and one wheel speed sensor. The cost was a heck of a lot better than the local dealer wanted, and not penny more than his estimate even though it took longer to complete the job than he quoted. No additional or unnecessary work was suggested which is a pleasant surprise from the usual experience at the dealer.

Anyway if anyone is in the Southern Ontario / Toronto area and in need of a good Land Rover mechanic with all the necessary diagnostic tools drop me an e-mail, I would be glad to recommend him.

Stephen