Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash lights.. $2900?? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash lights.. $2900?? WTF?

ok so the 3 common lights came on in my dash about 2 months ago and i took it to the landrover dealership and they charged the insurance company 600 or something 2 fix the problem and said it was a shuttle valve sensor or something like that. insurance covered it because i had wrecked the truck and those lights came on after the wreck. well they replaced the sensor or whatever and the lights went away. for those of you that dont know the lights i'm talking about are the traction control, abs, and hill descent malfunction light. well the lights recently came back on last week and i took it to the dealership this monday, the guy just called me back saying it's gonna cost 2900 to fix the problem, this time it's a abs wheel sensor that's bad and the original shuttle valve sensor they replaced the first time as well as something called the shuttle valve modulator- he said it was leaking fluid onto the sensors and burning it out? what in the world is he talking about and is 2900 steep? i'm fixin 2 call the insurance company because in my opinion they should have fixed this originally from the accident....

Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Drifting
Default RE: dash lights.. $2900?? WTF?

oh and it's a 2001 land rover discovery II with about 75k miles on it...

Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they are referring to is the ABS Modulator (which has the shuttle valve asone internal component). Some have tried to correct the shuttle valve failure with a kit-- but the success rate is not that great, and they can fail again. The ABS sensor failing is a rather common problem. However --- on the Discovery II model with about 80K miles accumulated ----it is also quite common to have the ABS sensor fault code thrown (to the computer) as a result of the hub/bearing assy on a given corner of the vehicle being sloppy. The only fix is to replace the hub assy (the front one comes with the sensor).

Bottom line?--- It sounds like the first time around the shop only charged the insurance company for fitting a shuttle valve repair kit and now it has failed again (based on the $600 you mentioned). The ABS modulator itself ---is a very expensive component. Tell the insurance company that they tried a repair in the past that historicallyhas a low success rate ---and for safety reasons you want it fixed properly with a ABS Modulator changeout. The ABS sensor problem is something you may have to dig into your wallet for--- as it is unrelated to the accident---

The statement about fluid leaking onto a sensor and burning it out sounds like BS ---as the sensors are sealed units.

hope this info helps you.

regards,

Geoman
www.eurotakapg.com "Land Rover Hard Parts delivered to your door" --for the do-it-yourself enthusiast

Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
Drifting

thanks man, yea geico covered it all and the total bill was $3199 so yea it was very pricey, and to say the least i was very dissapointed with the service center at park place land rover on i45 in houston. i had left 3 or 4 voicemails before they ever returned any of my calls and could never even tell me an estimated date of completion. none the less i got my truck back and the lights are gone, BUT now the service engine soon light came on 2day so i gotta take it to a local shop n see what they come up with- i DO NOT want 2 take it back to landrover...

Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Mudding

Take this for what it is worth, but I also have heard about fluid leaking out of the ABS modulator causing problems. Apparently there is some wiring (or possibly electronics) related to the shuttle valves that is on the under side of the modulator and gets eaten by the leaking fluid. This came from my dealer, at a time when my triple light problem had already been fixed by a brake pad change (and I generally trust him anyway).