Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three amigos: Replaced hub and wire...still getting them.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnkeith
I've been dealing with this same issue for over a year. RF sensor signal erratic. 1st I replaced the sensor with a short one off ebay. Worked for a few weeks, then came back. Dealership said it's the hub. AB said it's the hub. Several threads here said it's the hub. Even though there was no apparent play or issue with THE HUB, I bought a new one from AB along with the long, hard-wired-to-SLABS sensor that LR recommends. Worked for about a week, and now it's back. Now, it is setting off the amigos just about every time I drive it. Brake fluid level is where it should be.

Where to next??
Some more time spent on this... trying to work through it logically. Started getting a new code today, along with the Right Front erratic signal. R F Low output, or something like that. Talked to the indy LR shop last week. He said that with all the new sensors and new hub, and still getting the same code, it may well be an issue with the SLABS ECU. This would make sense, I believe, if the ecu is not putting out adequate signal to that sensor, then it won't be receiving a good signal back...right? Any way to determine that without just swapping another ecu in? My rig is an '04. Do I need an '04 donor?

Also, I was able to get my Foxwell to work long enough to do some minor (low speed) wheel speed checks with the ABS live data. Sure enough, RF wheel speed indicated is very erratic. Example: going 4 mph, all the other wheels indicate 4, steady. RF indicates 4,2,4,4,3,4,2,4 etc... So the signal is indeed erratic. Is there a way to check the sensors to ensure they are working properly? I think I read somewhere about a way to check with an ohm meter.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Yeah, do a search, you can find a way to check the resistance.

Second, if you only one sensor giving an error, swap it with the sensor from the opposite side. If it follows the sensor, bad sensor. If it does not, see below.

You can swap the pins on the connector from left to right the slabs thinks left is right and vice versa. If it follows the pins, bad hub. If it stays on the wheel - bad slabs.

BTW, I fixed this on one of my discos yesterday, broken wire on the slabs connector.