Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I really need to get better at this. I do have a question for all of you though.

After some pretty heavy off roading in Utah in May, my throttle started sticking when I'd go wide open with it. Upon inspection, the problem seems to be with the throttle body. When the throttle it open all the way, and the valve rotates to near 90% (parallel to the ground), it sticks. Pretty much stays open. The throttle cables go slack, and there is nothing you can do other then stick your finger in there an release it, or get a hold of the part where the cable attaches and flick it back. It feels like the valve is getting wedged inside...like the valve is no longer round for some reason. So, if I floor it, the throttle sticks open and revs up to 5500 RPM and stays there. I have to put it in N and shut the engine off, pull over, pop the hood and release the stuck valve.

What I've done to try and fix it:
HOSED down the inside with carb cleaner.
Strategically sprayed WD-40 on key parts to try and free it up.
HOSED down retention spring (thinking maybe the spring was getting hung up).
Checked for free movement of the throttle cable (thinking THAT was getting hung up).

No fix.

I took it to 2 different dealerships. 1 in Las Vegas and 1 in Wisconsin. The one in Vegas "cleaned it up" and said it was good. Which it turned out to NOT be after a couple of months. The Wisconsin dealership tried "Everything" but has recommended replacement at $600.

I've found several online at a MUCH better price, and although I'm not really a mechanic, it looks pretty straight forward to replace it. So I'm looking into that route. Before I do that though I wanted to check with everyone and see what I may have missed.

Anyone have any suggestions that may not have tried?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

lube, lube, and more lube - and don't forget the cables when fully extended (so lube will carry back inside the sheath). If careful inpection shows nothing consider replacing the whole thing with one from a donor vehicle at a nearby junkyard, or a parting out one or a parts guy on the forum (dismantler). Also try cleaning out the PCV oil vent system, one hose from each valve cover, in case some wierd vacuum lock is holding it closed at WOT (wide open throttle, where guys with 300 hp bass boats try to sneak up on the big ones really fast).

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-13-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I might give the "lube" another try. It sticks open with the engine off when I push the valve open with my finger. So I'm pretty sure it's not a vacuum thing, but I'll look at that too. Why type of "lube" do you suggest? WD-40, Slick-50, is there something special I should be looking at?

Brian

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Agreed on the vacuum, should have read your post and put brain in gear.... One would think if cables are slack, and return spring doesn't pull it back, perhaps it is binding on some sort of gunk deposit, perhaps more cleaner on the inside, and some really long Q tips or plastic brush.