Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body

Can use some help with a Throttle Body on a 2002 Disco

I have an antifreeze leak dripping on my driver side valve cover or at least there is what appears to be "cooked" antifreeze on the cover. A-F is also dripping after shut off from the underside back of engine. A little looking and it appears there may be a gasket which needs replaced or a hose that attaches to the throttle body? Is there a kit and can anyone tell me where to get it?

Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Body

If you call your local Rover dealers part dept, they have an up-dated kit to reseal that coolant leak. It is a pretty easy job at little expense. Make sure to refill using DexCool anti freeze.
Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
8th Gear

Disco Mike

So it sounds like this is a problem LR has had if the kit is updated? Does it relace the gasket or is it a hose issue?

Also, When I replace the coolant do I need to purge the collant system? Is there a valve to do this? I ask this because I have had to ad some coolant with the leak and it appears my Thermostat is not opening? Maybe air?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Once you replace the plate gaskets, you may have a little air in the engine, shouldn't be hard to bleed off though. if your t/stat isn't opening you will be overh heating, is that the case?
Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
8th Gear

Yes, it is overheating and I can smell it. However it does not stay overheated. My wife drives this rig so I have to go by what she says it is doing. She says the heat gauge will start to rise and then drops back down to the middle. This leads me to believe the t-stat is opening? But on looking in a repair manual and talking to a parts man at the dealership I understand the system has to be bleed off? I have never heard of such a thing but then I drive a good old Ford.

So.......this is where I think I am. I need a throttle body gasket kit. Then need to use DexCool antifreeze (which I had no idea about) to re-fill the system and bleed it off with the purge screw I see in a drawing in the repair book. Also, I did not see that bleed off screw when I tore into the thing the other day but will hope it is there.

D-Mike, want you know know your the man! Have been reading this site and you seem to know your stuff very well. Maybe this forum is yours? Anyhow, I appreciate your time greatly.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

When you get ready to replace the gasket, we should talk, I will be glad to walk you thru bleeding the engine. How many miles on your truck, I am concerned about your overheat issue?
Look at the Tee that connects all the upper radiator hoses together, does it have a bleed screw on it?
If you are worried about the t/stat, maybe you should replace thaqt at the same time just to illiminate any possible problems.
Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

D-Mike:

Did get to town today to p/u the Throttle Body kit. Part #MGM 000010K
The kit contains a new aluminum hose attachment piece along with the gasket. I read a little about bleeding off that coolant system. I see you need to remove the overflow tank to do it right. Looks like I should be able to get to it tomorrow. Should not be a problem to do this job.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator

I have never removed the overflow tank to bleed the system, that may be one way but I don't think many people do.
Do you have a bleeder screw on your upper radiator Tee?
Mike

Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 AM
8th Gear

Yes, the bleed off screw is in the "T". The rig has approx. 55k miles on it. Am very interested in how to bleed off the system? Maybe just pull the RH front to up on a ramp? As I read you must get the fill port or the overflow tank above everything else in the coolant system?
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Overlanding

Desert,

I actually had this same thing happen to me last month.

All I had to do was remove the throttle body, install the new throttle body "warming" device that was causing the leak, and put it all back together. I also purchased a new gasket for the trottle body where it connects to the intake of coarse.

I blead the coolant sys using the bleed off valve in the radiator hose that crosses over the top of the fan shroud. Been daily driving for a month now and no problems!

I was impressed with the kit. I don't remember it being very expensive (at least from what you would expect from Land Rover). The new part was cast with thicker metal so I don't think it will happen again. Also, they supplied the gasket, new hardware, and a new sticker for the trottle body.

Good luck!