Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default throttle body cleaning

This is how you clean the throttle body on a DI with the V8.
The process is the same for all gas engines just the parts look different.
Run the left side front tire up onto a piece of wood, a curb, brick, anything to get that side of the truck slightly higher than the rest of the truck.
You do this so that the carb cleaner runs into the engine and not onto your valve covers and exhaust manifold.
Now here is a special tip, do NOT get the carb cleaner on the paint, it will eat it.
Remove your air intake tubing from the t-body and set off to the side.
It is best if you unhook it from the MAF (mass air flow sensor) and the t-body.

[IMG][/IMG]

Take your can of carb cleaner and spray everything on, in and around the t-body.

[IMG][/IMG]

Take your hand and open the throttle as far as it will go and spray all around inside the butterfly valve and as far inside of the intake plenum as you can reach.
Take caution as not to spray to much inside the intake.

[IMG][/IMG]

Put it all back together and start the engine.
It will be hard to start and may spit and sputter for a few minutes.
It will do this because the engine is flooded.
Now drive it around the block a couple of times to make sure that all of the carb cleaner is burned.

I do this every spring aspart of my spring cleaning.

More to come.

From Jycsalas on 03-26-2010:
"Just to add that cleaning the t-body is exactly that, cleaning the t-body, NOT the "dump the whole can into the intake plenum" cleaning. Yes, you expect the cleaner fluid to get inside but ideally if one could remove the bolts attaching the t-body to the plenum/manifold w/out ruining the paper gasket and clean the t-body only, that would be best. THEN do the induction cleaning to clean the intake plenum. Or spray some cleaner lightly on the inside walls and use the plastic tooth brush.

SO spray only the insides of the t-body, spray the plate on both sides and use some shop towels or plastic tooth brush to wipe and clean if it's that bad. If it's so bad that the first couple of spray shots didn't get all of it, run the engine til it idles normal and repeat. Do that several times using the whole can and your engine will be golden. I personally never used an entire can AT A ONE TIME SHOT. OR if your skills aren't up to the challenge, buy the gasket for $3 http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6623.cfm and clean the t-body only. While it's out, use a shop towel and tooth brush and clean the inside of the plenum as it won't harm anything. Bottom line is use your cleaner little by little....

This isn't rocket science...."

Last edited by Spike555; 10-04-2011 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (09-24-2016)
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttle body cleaning

Excellent, thanks a lot Spike! I'm planning on doing this within a week or two so I'm glad you posted this now so I don't have to bother you for it later!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

No problem, thats why I am doing these posts, now if I could only figure out how to save them for easy referance.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike! That can states its "Safety-Kleen Professional" Is it ok for us regular guys to use it also?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: Night Train

Spike! That can states its "Safety-Kleen Professional" Is it ok for us regular guys to use it also?
NO!! LOL You regular guys need to buy the cheap stuff at AutoZone.
I worked at SK for a year selling that stuff, pen/lube and coolant...I have "samples" of the parts cleaner and the pen/lube in my garage as well as a couple gallons of their degreaser.
And if I ever run out all I need to do is call my friend who still works there.
Just wish I could have brought home a 55gal drum of coolant and stuck it in the corner of my garage.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just finished up the throttle body cleaning and boy did she smoke. My neighbor thought I got a job spraying for mesquitos. Anyway, smoke started coming out where the exhaust pipe mounts to the exhaust manifold. I was able to turn the bolts a half turn each. Once tightened, the smoke stopped coming out there so I am hopefull that the gasket is good. I was unable to hear an exhaust leak before. The check engine light did come on so we will see what happens.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Now do i have to remove the Plenum cover? And whats the T-body? i havent heard of this part on the land rover. Is it where the air tubing goes into the throttle...And turns in to the Plenum? Do i just spray the whole can inside of the throttle?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

No you do not remove the intake plenum.
The t-body is the throttle body (every fuel injectred car has one), that is what the air tubing goe to.
Yes use the whole can and spray all around and inside the t-body.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey Spike,

Can doing a throttle body cleaning end misfires? I posted a thread several days ago that I had replaced my plugs and wires and was still having several misfires. Being very frustrated, I took my car (2001 Disco) to the LR Dealership for a diagnostic and they said in order to stop these misfires they could do a throttle body cleaning, which would clean the injectors, throttle body, etc. Does this sound possible to you? I know for a fact that the previous owners did not always use premium gas, but that is all that I have put in it for the past 6 months that I have owned it. Thanks for any info/advice

Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The answer is no.
How many miles on the truck, has it been tuned, does it have new wires and do you have a check engine light on???????

Quick Reply: throttle body cleaning