Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body heater bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Throttle body heater bypass

I changed my throttle body heater plate out last night from British Pacific, still leaks. I also used some permatex RTV when installing, lighty sanded the housing to ensure all old crud was removed. I have looked online for about and hour and all I can find is that it can be bypassed with no serious issues or threats to my LR. However, there isn't a diagram or a step by step that I have seen. If anyone can provide or point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

If you want to bypass it you have to do is connect the two hoses together, but I would not recommend it.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling

I am in Houston where the weather isn't that bad in the winter. Mine was already fixed during a previous recall and the replacement BP part isn't helping. Can I just not use the gasket that came with it and use the RTV in its place?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Baja

do you want to by pass it of fix it? if you want to by pass it just hook the two hoses together.
It been awhile since i did mine, it needs it like every couple years, I dont think you will be able to get away with just RTV, i think there might be to much expansoin and contraction.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is the plumbing flow chart. Keep in mind the purpose of the device is to prevent the throttle from icing up and sticking in one position. May happen in certain weather conditions at slightly above freezing. Won't happen in Planet Houston in July. But could during a cold snap. Or if you went on a trip. So worth fixing, but you can bypass to keep the truck usable. Don't just stub off each pipe, couple them together because some of that coolant flow is used to make the thermostat open at the correct time. Makes no impact on mpg, etc. Note that anything plastic or rubber under the hood has been baked and decomposed by oil vapors, and can be brittle. Easy to crack, another trip to parts store in another vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle body heater bypass-d2-coolant-flow-001.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Connect the top hose that comes out of the engine directly to the coolant reservoir. You will need about a 24"-36" length of 5/16 inner diameter hose IIRC.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling

drowsapp, Savannah Buzz and willrok13- Thanks, the kit I have from BP uses a rubber gasket, after tightening down, its not flush with the housing, I haven't cranked the engine over since but, did squeeze the upper radiator hose and coolant squirted out. I feel the bypass is the best fix. Now what do I do with the 2 lines coming out of the plate, just use some hose and connect them to each other?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Baja

you can use use a 5/16 hoses connector for a temp. repair. did you run a file or a straight edge with emery cloth over the throttle body surface before you put the new kit on?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, filed it down to remove any crud. The gasket that came with the kit is rubber.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You dont have to do anything to the throttle body if you connect the reservoir to the hose coming out of the top of the engine. Coolant does not circulate there without hose #6 in the photo being connected, so just leave the heater plate totally disconnected. All you need is a hose for the reservoir/top hose connection. I have had mine bypassed since I broke the plastic reservoir pipe two years ago. No problems. Essentially, you will be connecting hose #7 where hose #6 exits the engine from the photo Savannah posted.

Last edited by willrok13; 02-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle body heater bypass