Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle & Cruise Control Cables

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle & Cruise Control Cables

Can someone confirm a couple of things for me for a 2001 DII:
1. Is the cable connection closest to the radiator (front) on the throttle body the cruise control and the one closest to the windshield (back) the throttle cable? That's what RAVE says and mine is opposite.

2. What is the routing of the cruise control cable around the oil refill cap?

Thanks. Tom

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you looked under the hood before asking this question, they are very easy to trace with your hand or eye.
Whatever you do, do not try to make any adjustments to these cables or you will mess them up.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you looked under the hood before asking this question, they are very easy to trace with your hand or eye.
Whatever you do, do not try to make any adjustments to these cables or you will mess them up.
I am finishing the reassembly after replacing the head gaskets. The pictures I took before removing the upper intake manifold shows the 2 cables were in opposite positions than in RAVE. That's why I asked.

Anybody help me out here?

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (07-21-2024)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Would really appreciate if somebody could confirm the location of the cables. Just finished a head gasket job, new radiator, hoses, etc. Engine runs fine now. Great success. When assembling the 2 throttle cables the picture I took before diassembly shows them installed opposite to RAVE. Did the previous guy put them on backwards or is RAVE wrong?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RAVE is definitely correct for mine. Follow the RAVE directions for getting the slack set right (CC cable has much more play than throttle) and you should be fine installing them the proper way.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by focusontheworld
Can someone confirm a couple of things for me for a 2001 DII:
1. Is the cable connection closest to the radiator (front) on the throttle body the cruise control and the one closest to the windshield (back) the throttle cable? That's what RAVE says and mine is opposite.

2. What is the routing of the cruise control cable around the oil refill cap?

Thanks. Tom
OK I went out in the rain and looked. The cruise is on the front, throttle cable on the rear. This makes sense since if it was the other way the cables would have to cross over each other since the throttle loops back to the drivers side and the cruise goes to the passenger side. Functionally it shouldn't matter since they both hook to the same thing. My cruise cable doesn't even come close to the oil filler, it makes kind of a loop to the rear, completely clearing the filler.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Discosomewhat
RAVE is definitely correct for mine. Follow the RAVE directions for getting the slack set right (CC cable has much more play than throttle) and you should be fine installing them the proper way.
Thanks a lot for checking. That helps a bunch. New head gaskets, radiator, hoses, water pump, battery, oil, coolant, reconditioned heads, valve job and she runs like a top again. Now I can get the throttle and cc cables correct. Thanks again. Tom.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
OK I went out in the rain and looked. The cruise is on the front, throttle cable on the rear. This makes sense since if it was the other way the cables would have to cross over each other since the throttle loops back to the drivers side and the cruise goes to the passenger side. Functionally it shouldn't matter since they both hook to the same thing. My cruise cable doesn't even come close to the oil filler, it makes kind of a loop to the rear, completely clearing the filler.
Thanks for checking. I appreciate it. I've installed them the way you said and all is well. Thanks again. Tom