Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Tick" - how long have you driven with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You might try T6 or Mobil1 TDT (both are full synth 5w40, though the M1 is true full synth for what it's worth). Both are about the same price (at Walmart) and very good oils, the most importance being the M1 is slightly thicker than the T6, which I personally prefer for my truck.

I bet that tick will get quieter with full synth oil.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try mobil1 on next change.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2003 got a brand new LR short block in 2009 after a severe overheating and was fine until a rather cold winter morning start (cold for Houston as in mid 20') in late 2011. After that morning I could hear a tick/tap that seemed to be towards the back of the engine lower down and on the passenger side. It really bothered me as I knew it was not like that before, the new engine had performed flawlessly and I had visions of the engine failing and more $$$.

I finally ended taking it to an independent LR shop in the city with a pretty sound reputation. They listened and suggested changing the oil and using an additive they swear by, BG MOA. They used a 5-30 oil as it was winter but told me to switch to 15-40 Rotella in the warmer months which is most of the year here. They said the noise was most likely piston slap and not to worry.

Surprisingly the noise pretty much went away, what I hear now just sounds like any engine. I still add a can of the BG MOA when I change the oil, I get it on eBay for about $6 a can and it just makes me feel better doing it. Disagree with me if you like but the engines now runs fine so I think my issue may have been wrong oil. Incidentally, I don't have any kind of after market oil pressure gauge but whenever I cold start the oil light switches off immediately with the other dash lights, it never lags.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fwiw, i put some SeaFoam in the crankcase and the clanking got louder.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That's an interesting point I had kind of forgotten about.

Years ago my Dodge van (with 40000 miles) had a rattle in the engine. The next time I changed the oil (I think i was using Castrol dino back then) I filled it a half quart shy and cranked it.

Sure enough, the rattle was still there.

I poured in a bottle of engine Prolong, and listened in amazement as the rattle went away. The van is still running great 75000 miles later. I continued to run Prolong in it til last year. The last oil change I switched to T6 (I think I was running Rotella T before that and not happy with it) and omitted the Prolong. So far, no rattle.

So some of those products do help. BG is supposed to be good stuff, as is Lucas, and I know Prolong is good. Any other products I'd have to research, as I know many are just snake oil.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by primussucks
fwiw, i put some SeaFoam in the crankcase and the clanking got louder.
I'm not sure what Seafoam oil additive does, but I wonder if a friction modifier (like Prolong) wouldn't just make it easier for the sleeve to slip around.

So I guess a slipped sleeve is one instance where an additive may not help. Or you might try a goopy additive like Lucas or even Engine Restore.

At that point you haven't got much to lose.

BTW, good luck with your Valvoline warranty. I'll be stoked for you if that works.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
jh.
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I have the tick but as a relatively new owner - it could just be that this engine sounds different than I'm used to - it's not a throaty deep V8, rather a mechanical sound.

At least compared to YouTube videos it sounds normal. Sounds like any other older Discovery.

That said one of these days (after the ABS mod is done), I'll probably take it to my local indy for a good once-over - seeing that I completely ignored that advice prior to purchase and bought it sight-unseen. I am relatively confident the truck is in good shape.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

These engines do have a fair bit of noise from the camshaft and lifters, so some ticking is normal.

There is a specific noise associated with sleeve slippage. I haven't read up on it a ton, but I believe it's fairly loud and only happens at low RPMs and after the engine is warmed up.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
jh.
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
These engines do have a fair bit of noise from the camshaft and lifters, so some ticking is normal.

There is a specific noise associated with sleeve slippage. I haven't read up on it a ton, but I believe it's fairly loud and only happens at low RPMs and after the engine is warmed up.
I've assumed this was the case (or at least hoped), which is why I haven't even mentioned the noise until the post above. If I don't mention it...it's not real.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine ticks on warm up but once I get around 120°f it seems to go away. Running 10w-40 with Lucas oil stabilizer and Mobil 301 filter. No leaks of any kind

Quick Reply: The "Tick" - how long have you driven with it?