Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick, tick, tick getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike, there is no way I can just live with this noise. It haunts me in my sleep. If the liners are moving, I can pin them, right?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You might be able to pin them, I know some have done it, but I would not count on it.
Pretend you have a diesel.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback Disco
If the liners are moving I should see evidence on the head gaskets, right?
Yes, you will have grooves that are hammered into the firing rings.

And despite what "some" might say, A gerotor pump WILL make a damn site more than 60psi... I know this because, I've personally been involved in designing transmissions and specifying gerotor pumps and they will make pressures in excess of 60psi.... And that's all I have to say on you "needing a new gauge"...

Last edited by turbodave; 07-14-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided that I will pull the engine and get it on a stand so I can further investigate and pin the liners properly. I'm relocating to another town next month so it will have to wait until after we get settled in the new place.

My plan is to document everything and share it here. Keep a look out in the next month or so for updates.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds good.
Let us know what you do and what you would do different, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 03' has been ticking now for about a year or 5K miles. My lack of faith in the engine doesn't allow me to do what I would like with the Disco. I'm tired of listening to it and will be pulling the engine as early as this weekend. I have a spare block from my 04' that has cylinders a few thou out of round and was replaced by a turner block, but should work just fine.

I'll be looking at the valve train in detail and of course looking for marking on the head gasket firing ring. I also will post my findings for all to see.

If I didn't like this kind of stuff owning these things would not be fun.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback Disco
I have a 2004 Discovery with just over 104,000 miles. Purchased in March of 2011 with 78,000 miles. I believe I am the third owner. It was solid when I bought it with no abnormal engine noises. I started noticing a ticking somewhere around 90,000. After researching several sites, I decided to go with the Purolator L40316 filter and Rotella T 15W-40 oil hoping it would make the tick go away. It did not. I wish I had checked my oil pressures prior to switching to the Purolator filter but didn't.

The ticking seems to be getting worse and I have started pricing new cams and lifters. I spoke to Mark at D&D Fabrications and he priced a stage 2 cam kit that I am in the process of funding (I can send you my PayPal information if anyone is interested in sponsoring the upgrade ). In preparation for the new cam and because the ticking seems to have gotten louder, I measured my oil pressure this evening.

My cold readings were 54 psi at idle and 58 psi at 2K rpm. Warm readings were 26 psi at idle and 51 psi at 2K rpm. Do these reading look right to those of you who have done the Purolator L40316 filter upgrade? Any advice on what i should look for as I replace the cam?
Hi If itis like mine a sleeve is loose and when hot it moves touching a head it just sounds like tappets. It is a work in progress still, but it does not look like being able to repair, I have tried the American 2 part product no good, next is to try the old bars leaks??
Regards David

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Stop leak won't help in many instances, becuase the block has not cracked yet and there is no coolant flow behind the liner. The tick is from it hitting the fire ring on the head gasket. In addition to pinning, saw a shade tree reference a long time back on another site about crimping the liner so it would not move, not sure if this could be done from the bottom in the truck. What is the American 2 part item you reference?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
In addition to pinning, saw a shade tree reference a long time back on another site about crimping the liner so it would not move
Factory liners are extrmely brittle, and not in any way ductile or able to be "crimped". It would have been a nice fix for sure, but sadly it is one that will never work.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know what whomever built these engines did wrong to make this issue seem to be very common on the 4.6 blocks? This engine has been around forever so I'm just curious what the heck changed to make this happen.

Quick Reply: Tick, tick, tick getting worse