Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise Disco 2

Hey what's up people?!? I recently sold my wrangler, drove my buddies disco 2 and decided i needed one too, lol.

Well it's white, it has 86K miles and it's almost perfect imo. Well i went to look at it and everything was fine, drove it, same deal. Once i got home i started hearing a ticking noise, and i'm not too sure if it's lifters or rod knock, the noise is usually there but goes away sometimes.

Took it off roading yesterday and the noise went away but came back a little later. I don't know what could be wrong. i started by hooking up a scan tool and all i got was code po441 i think it was, something to do with the evap systrem. Then i started killing cylinders(pulling plug wires one at a time while the car was running) the nois got quieter at cylynder 3 going back on the pass side. New to rovers so i don't know where is cylinder 1 is. I was thinking to take it to the rover shop around here but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of what it could be. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase.
It could be any number of things, a exhaust leak, lifter noise, spark leaing out of the plug wires and shorting to the exhaust manifold.
Start with a oil change, 10w-40 is best for these engines.
Do you know if this truck falls into the bad oil pump range?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Congrats on your new purchase.
It could be any number of things, a exhaust leak, lifter noise, spark leaing out of the plug wires and shorting to the exhaust manifold.
Start with a oil change, 10w-40 is best for these engines.
Do you know if this truck falls into the bad oil pump range?
I have no clue about the bad oil pump range, i'm very new to Land Rovers, about a week new, lol. I've always wanted a P38 but everyone told me the disco 2 is much better off road. then i buy this and come to find out it awd w/o the CDL.

all the wires have spark and the plugs look "ok" but i wanna make sure it's not a knock before i start dumping money into it.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Well i'm starting to lean towards the oil pump screw up land rover added. Can i still save my engine?!?! Can i replace the oil pump and still drive/off-road my car and not have it blow up? I don't have money to buy a new truck i'm still paying it off.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If the noise is only at one cylinder and you don't have an oil light on, your not having a pump issue. Call the dealer and get the vin range from service. If you were really worried about your pump, and the light was coming on then I would suggest checking your oil pressure. In your case, you most likely have a bad rocker arm, shaft or lifter.
Do something about it TODAY before it comes up and Bites you.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

CONGRATS on the 2003 S. I have one too and love it. check the vin number.

Change the oil like spike said and get ready to give it a full tune up. look for the sticky: 60k mile service.

If you want CDL, look on my sticky for a write-up i made on installing a CDL kit in 2003 Discovery.

DO the 60k mile service 1st, rebuild your front drive shaft, then if you want, add CDL.

And Welcome to the forum...

Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Drifting

It doesn't fall into that category it must be something else. I guess i'll have to take it to the dealer.
edit: Perhaps using thicker oil will quiet it down a bit?

Last edited by LebaneseShowoff; 06-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
It doesn't fall into that category it must be something else. I guess i'll have to take it to the dealer.
edit: Perhaps using thicker oil will quiet it down a bit?
1-you dont need a trip to the dealer, any good shop can help you.
2-that depends, what weight are you using now? Are you using full synthetic or dino oil? When was it last changed?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Mudding

If you took away the bang from cly 3 my guess, this can only mean a few things. Possibly an exhaust leak at that cylinder, rod knock, or piston pin knock, piston slap is not as likely as it sounds like the sound is present at warm-up and after. If you can get a stethescope on the block near that cylinder, and a timing light hooked up, listen for the sound in reguards to the flash of the timing light. If the knock is in time with the light its the rod, if its twice as fast its the pin. Ive been chasing a knock in motor for some time now, maybe you can find something out.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Drifting

can't be an exhaust leak because it's louder from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise Disco 2