Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise when deccelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCfromCapeCod
What driveline components did you eliminate before you discovered it was the transfer case....or how did you discover it WAS the tcase?

Assuming it only makes the noise when the wheels turn I guess we might have to put it up on the lift and let it run in D a bit to source the noise. It doesn't do it unless the car is moving with no load on the drivetrain. I need to see if it does it with the car in neutral...

thanks!
I rebuilt both driveshafts (freshly greased spline shaft, ujoints), dropped the tranny pan, filter, filled with fresh atf, inspection of valve body, pan etc for any metal shavings (none). FINALLY got the car to a shop with all the wheels off the ground and found it was definitely the t-case. Mine has gotten progressivley worse over the last few weeks. It was an easy diagnosis, you could just put your hand on the case covering and feel the massive vibration coming from it. My car did at all speeds as long as there was slack in the driveline too, as soon as you gave it gas, no noise to speak of. My car did it in neutral, 1,2,3 and D with the transfer case on high. Funny enough, no noise in low.

By the way, I just picked up a low mileage 03 t-case for $400 OTD shipped from CO (I live in the SF Bay Area). You can find em real cheap it's just the freight is outrageous depending on where you live. The freight costs more than the case itself!

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 04-10-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Overlanding

I listened to your video and our sound is nothing like that. Ours could be best described as the sound from putting baseball cards in your bike spokes. There is no rumbling metal crunchy sound like yours...more of a uniform higher pitched clicking...it is the same sound over and over with only variation being how fast the truck is moving.

I will update as I have more info - vehicle belongs to daughter and its not always easy to get a hold of.

PS - I am a Porsche guy too - 1998 C2S

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Mudding

I listened to your video and our sound is nothing like that. Ours could be best described as the sound from putting baseball cards in your bike spokes. There is no rumbling metal crunchy sound like yours...more of a uniform higher pitched clicking...it is the same sound over and over with only variation being how fast the truck is moving.

I will update as I have more info - vehicle belongs to daughter and its not always easy to get a hold of.

PS - I am a Porsche guy too - 1998 C2S
When I first started hearing the noise, I too described as a flapping/ticking type noise. Almost like if an electric solenoid was going haywire and it would speed or slow down depending on the speed of the vehicle. When on the highway, the flapping is so fast you almost can't even hear it... at the beginning. It will only get worse in time and start sound more and more mechanical. You will begin to feel the vibration on top of the gear selector but don't fret, it's not the tranny!

Nice, the 996 is a great car isn't it!? It's almost hard to believe that it has WAY less issues than my Rover. A pretty reliable little machine actually... What color is yours?

Once we get passed the 90k mark, it should be pretty smooth sailing in our Discos as most parts that will be replaced regularly will have been just that, replaced! Just gotta tough through it as they are cars worth keeping.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Overlanding

Mine is a 993...one of the very last air-cooled widebody coupes made....love it to death. Artic Silver/black...20K miles with factory aerokit.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Mine is a 993...one of the very last air-cooled widebody coupes made....love it to death. Artic Silver/black...20K miles with factory aerokit.
That's awesome man, I forgot about the split model year with the 996, just assumed ... Love the color scheme and the OEM aero is beautiful. I have mine on 4 jack stands with the suspension all pulled apart. Got some new wheels, coilovers and exhaust

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Overlanding

Yep, 1998 was pretty much a half model year (based on production numbers) for the 993 and the 996 started being built at the same time (993 and 996 models when down the line together) with the 996 being made as a 1999 model.

I put PSS-9 on mine - made all the difference.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

what happens if you throw it in nutrual going down the road?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is your T-case, there's a guy in Taunton selling a tranny and T-case on craigslist. He's been trying to dump the parts for at least a year now, you can probably pick it up for real short money. 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 PARTS

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Overlanding

Thank you all for info - I will know more Tuesday when it hits the shop.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where on the Cape are you? I got a place over in N. Falmouth. If you do any dune riding, Ptown has some real nice dunes, but I recommend the CDL install first, I got stuck there once before I installed the CDL.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise when deccelerating