Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise when deccelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates!

It makes the noise in Neutral as well as Drive.
It does not make it when the truck is cold - it takes a mile or three to warm up then it clicks.
You can feel it through the gear selector (for the tranny).

Going in to the shop Tuesday.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Overlanding

PS - our guy probably won't touch it if it is the t-case...any suggestions in SE Mass for a shop that will?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always recommended J. White out in Framingham. I know its a bit of a drive for you, but all their techs drive Rovers, its a certified LR shop, and Jeff, the owner is awesome to deal with. They part out rovers and will swap in used parts. Call and talk to him, he will email you quotes and ideas on what to do. I can't speak highly enough about those guys. Warning, tho, Jeff loves to talk, so be prepared to have a 20 minute convo about Rovers.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Overlanding

Thanks very much - I just sent him an email!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

Dropping it off with Jeff at J. White tomorrow AM...will report back. It is now looking like the TC.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DCfromCapeCod
Dropping it off with Jeff at J. White tomorrow AM...will report back. It is now looking like the TC.
Good luck man... I just got mine via UPS the other day. Bought a used one and if you are doing the same (new is about $2000), think about replacing some parts on it while it is out of the car (input shaft seal, tail shaft seal, inspection plate seal.) Let us know what you'll be doing!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Good luck man... I just got mine via UPS the other day. Bought a used one and if you are doing the same (new is about $2000), think about replacing some parts on it while it is out of the car (input shaft seal, tail shaft seal, inspection plate seal.) Let us know what you'll be doing!
Are you installing it yourself or is somebody installing it for you. If a shop is doing the job, do you have any quotes how much it will cost to install the transfer case?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hhalimi
Are you installing it yourself or is somebody installing it for you. If a shop is doing the job, do you have any quotes how much it will cost to install the transfer case?
Yes, I'll be installing it myself as with anything else on my truck. I think the book calls for 3.7 hours for r and r, so expect to pay at least $500 for labor. That's not including the replacement of aforementioned seals etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Overlanding

Needs TC and front driveshaft and associated parts...more to come.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DCfromCapeCod
Needs TC and front driveshaft and associated parts...more to come.
Please be aware that the front drive shaft can be rebuilt with serviceable ujoints. Don't replace the shaft with another OEM one as it fail and are like $1200. You can get yours rebuilt for less than $200 out the door and it will be more reliable than anything the factory has given us. Make sure to grease at least every other oil change and it should last for the life of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise when deccelerating