Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound coming from top of engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound coming from top of engine

2003 Disco II
I recently had to replace a coolant hose on top of engine, as well as throttle body gasket due to coolant leak.
Ever since then, I have had a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from top of engine. The engine is running horribly rough and am getting about 5-10MPG right now. Service engine light is on, but I think that is related to front driver O2 sensor needing replaceing(LR shop pulled code for me).

my local shop said it does not sound like a wire has come off of the coil, but rather like a misfire.

He said I need OEM coils and wires.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tim

Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how many miles on your truck? are you losing coolant still? does the oil look like milkshake? have you done the headgaskets? what are the exact 4 digit error codes you are getting from the check engine light? when was the last time you did plugs and 8mm wires?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, I wouldn't believe a thing your mechanic says without it being tested.
So go get the codes read, get back to us with the fault code numbers and quit driving it before you cost your self some big bucks.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Firstly, do not drive with a rough engine.
The unburned gas will go into the CAT converters and possibly ruin them.

replacing CATS will be around $800. So avoid.

If your CEL light is flashing when you drive, then this is the OBDII warning that CAT damage is occurring

Check wire from MAF sensor - should be plugged in tight.

Get a code scanner.
If the CEL orange light is on, you have codes.
Pull the codes with a code scanner
Put the numbers into this thread for further help.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Exactly what throttle body gasket was replaced???
There are not many.. if even any.

Call them and get a detailed explanation.
or read your receipt from the shop and copy the lines from the receipt to your thread here and maybe the good members here can figure it out for you.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys i am thinking that he is referring to the throttle body heater plate gasket. Sometimes I feel like a mad scientists trying to dissect these posts, Timothy we need some more information to help you on this matter.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Wright
2003 Disco II
I recently had to replace a coolant hose on top of engine, as well as throttle body gasket due to coolant leak.
Ever since then, I have had a ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from top of engine. The engine is running horribly rough and am getting about 5-10MPG right now. Service engine light is on, but I think that is related to front driver O2 sensor needing replaceing(LR shop pulled code for me).

my local shop said it does not sound like a wire has come off of the coil, but rather like a misfire.

He said I need OEM coils and wires.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tim
You need new plugs and wires, your O2 code is from the mis fires, on these trucks 95% of all O2 codes are from misfires.
Use Magnecore, STI or Kingsbourne plug wires and any spark plug you want.
In the dark with the engine running open the hood and look for arcing, there will be your problem.
Shut the engine off and put the plug wire back on, then get the tune up done.
You do NOT need new coils, your MPG will come back once you have had the tune up done, when you are not running on all 8 cylinders you are literally dumping raw gas down the exhaust.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Drifting
Default Codes

I will head back over to my shop today and get all of the codes read and recorded so I can post intelligently!

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Drifting

I went and had the codes pulled.
Guy was a massive pain! I was not able to write down the first 2 codes fast enough. He told me they were p0130 and p0139
I was able to see these next ones.
Fault 17 p0171
Fault 27 P0171

He says that there are no misfire codes being thrown.
He looked at the upstream Bank A wires and said it looked oil contaminated and that I needed to fix the oil leak on the valve cover. I told him they changed that gasket 8 months ago and he says he was not sure about that and would have to wait for the owner to pull the records.
I asked him about what was done last week, before the car started running so rough. He pointed to a coolant hose on the top of the engine driver side and at the throttle body(sorry if that is the wrong name) right above that.

So here are the issues as i see them.
1. Oil leak coming from back of drivers side valve cover.
2. definetly throwing codes Fault 17 p0171 & Fault 27 P0171. Maybe throwing p0130 and p0139

Thanks again for your patience with me and for your help!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Per the codes you have mentioned, the 130 code indicates that the bank 1 sensor 1 has malfunctioned and that would be the cause of the 171 fault codes for running lean.
As for the v/c leak, tighten the 2 bolts on the valve cover and nd that should stop the leak, then clean the 02 connections to get rid of the oil and you may be OK at no expense to you.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound coming from top of engine