Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, I'm not mistaken on what a tie rod is, but is that not a "ball joint" on it? anyway it doesn't matter the tie rod ends seem to be worn, so if you don't think that a grease nipple sticking down out the bottom will get hung up on something offroading, I think I would like the option to grease them.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On a Chevy, they are tie rod ends, on an LR, they are ball joints. Same thing. I have put 70K on the factory replacements and they are holding strong. If you want the option to grease it, go for it. I wouldn't think the nipples would be in harm's way, but I would try to put some kind of dust cover on it. If it should happen to drag on something, just pull it out and replace, or if you are really worried about it, service it, remove the nipple , and install a plug.

Just remember that you have 3 right hand thread and one left hand.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench

so you have 70,000 on ones without grease nips, sounds like its not a big deal to have them then.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy

@ 140K on yours, other things will wear out first. Mine had a little over 100K when I got it and the drag link was bent to heck. I ordered a new one complete with ball joints from the dealer. I also welded a piece of angle to the new link in case I ended up hitting something too.. I now have 187K on it and if you twist the drag link, there isn't even a slight hiccup from wear.

personal preference, though. No harm in greasing them.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench

well, let me give you the rundown. the wheel has some slack from side to side before the wheels actually turn, the boots on the tie rod ends are cracked. I haven't checked them too closely, or the steering box or arm. I figured if the boots were bad it would probably speed the wear of the *****.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have someone I trust (not my wife) rock the steering wheel back & forth with engine running.
then I crawl under & feel each steering joint for play.

luck,greg

Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy

yeah, open the hood, stand outside the door, and watch the steering shaft while you turn. I let my steering box go so far that you could turn about a half turn before the wheels would move. I would start with the steering box.

That said, if your boots are cracked, I would still replace them. But I would check the steering box before you go have it aligned.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You're right, Land Rover calls them steering ball joints.
But what was shown at autozone was ball joints for the axle which is what they will show you if you say you want ball joints for a car.
Just wanted to make sure someone didn't order ball joints from autozone thinking they were getting TRE's (steering ball joints).

Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by antichrist
But what was shown at autozone was ball joints for the axle which is what they will show you if you say you want ball joints for a car.
Just wanted to make sure someone didn't order ball joints from autozone thinking they were getting TRE's (steering ball joints).
if someone can get anything that fits anywhere on a land rover at advance, more power to them.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
The link I clicked on in the thread showed the steering ball joints, but they were listed as tie rod ends....

That is why this forum is such a good resource. I have always called them tie rods and tie rod ends. Now I get cool terms like drag link, track rod and ball joints.

Quick Reply: tie rod ends