Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on Finding Well Maintained Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Finding Well Maintained Discovery II

I have been looking for about a month here in the Houston area to find a Land Rover Discovery II that has been well maintained and am having trouble locating one through the obvious sources (craigslist, cars.com, autotrader). Are these sources the common ways to go when looking for a very well maintained Discovery II or is there somewhere else I should be looking.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're looking in the right places....it just might take time. Search the forum classifieds, and also check out the other LR forums.

I found mine on Craigslist and it was only the 2nd one I checked out. Autotrader and sites like that seem overrun by dealers, but then again Craigsilst has started trending that way.

I would NOT buy a car on eBay unless it was local.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats your price range?
Ive got a beautiful 02 with 04 tbox and 04 cdl lever 71,000 miles
It's red w/ gray interior.. I know this doesnt help cause you have specific
color needs.
Other than that I would recommend you buy from an honest professional
Land Rover Tech. Nobody knows them better... or almost nobody

Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

For a babied Discovery places like this forum are where you may want to look. Here you will find guys that maticulously change their deisel rated oil(more detergents for cleaner engine), routinely lube their drive shafts, have made ABS amigo repairs and can tell you all want to know about it.

If I ever sell my truck I will turn it to this forum first. I want it to be well take care of as I have tried to take care of it. You will find many like that here.

Autotrader will turn up good finds but you have to look for a while. Don't jump on the first one you see. If it has over a 100,000 miles it's a huge plus if the head gaskets have been replaced.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys for the tips, and my price range is fairly flexible based on miles, repairs necessary, etc. Definitely want to keep it under 8 but prefer in the 4 to 5 range. I'm seriously considering the below Discovery and plan to check it out soon and take it to Land Rovers Unlimited for a pre purchase inspection. Any initial thoughts on the below?

Cars for Sale: 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II in Houston, TX 77065: Sport Utility Details - 310426644 - AutoTrader.com

Also, Mike if another couple of weeks go by without me finding exactly what I am after then I am going to get in touch with you. Want to at least start out being patient (even though it is tough for me).

Thanks

Last edited by lowndes; 12-08-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's REALLY low mileage, which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

The Good : lower mileage SHOULD mean less wear and tear on the majority of the components and you can get a jump on the maintenance to keep that bad boy running for years and years.

The Bad : You'd have to be ready for the head gaskets to go soon, and you'll be the one footing the bill for the 60K service which can be $$$$ depending on who does the work.

------

I'd also be willing to bet that the 3 Amigos are triggered since the ABS is there in the pictures, but that could be something as simple as a build up of brake dust on the rims (that's what caused mine). In that case, just give it a bath, get the codes cleared and be on your way.

Observation : The E-Brake and T-Case boots look awfully worn for a truck with 59K though???

Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, that is what I am thinking. Good that hopefully I can invest 3K or 4K into it and have a really well running machine and then know I am taking good care of it and keep it on the road for hopefully another 150,000 miles or so.

Also, I asked about the ABS and he has a quote to get it fixed for about $700 but said that he thinks they are still working as he had to stop really fast the other day and nothing locked up, etc. Hopefully, I'll find what I need to know out by the pre purchase inspection.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would definitely pass on that one mate. That ABS amigo stuff can be a monster, plus he's got some cosmetic damage on his bumper.

You can get a newer vehicle and probably get your hands on a 2004 for 7,000-7,500. Though it depends on what you want. A pre 03-04 will cost less for parts and you will be able to purchase upgrades more affordably. I mean the ABS might be okay, 5 grand is a lot for a maybe though.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 12-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
That's REALLY low mileage, which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

The Good : lower mileage SHOULD mean less wear and tear on the majority of the components and you can get a jump on the maintenance to keep that bad boy running for years and years.

The Bad : You'd have to be ready for the head gaskets to go soon, and you'll be the one footing the bill for the 60K service which can be $$$$ depending on who does the work.

------

I'd also be willing to bet that the 3 Amigos are triggered since the ABS is there in the pictures, but that could be something as simple as a build up of brake dust on the rims (that's what caused mine). In that case, just give it a bath, get the codes cleared and be on your way.

Observation : The E-Brake and T-Case boots look awfully worn for a truck with 59K though???
Also, excuse my ignorance but if the three amigos are triggered how expensive is that normally to fix. Once I purchase this thing I plan on fixing everything possible to hopefully get ahead of the game and keep it running.

Last edited by lowndes; 12-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I would definitely pass on that one mate. That ABS amigo stuff can be a monster, plus he's got some cosmetic damage on his bumper.

You can get a newer vehicle and probably get your hands on a 2004 for 7,000-7,500. Though it depends on what you want. A pre 03-04 will cost less for parts and you will be able to purchase upgrades more affordably. I mean the ABS might be okay, 5 grand is a lot for a maybe though.
Thanks appreciate the feedback. Not to picky on the year just looking for the best maintained Discovery I can find.

Quick Reply: Tips on Finding Well Maintained Discovery II