Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires wear out too fast...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires wear out too fast...

I have purchased tires twice in the last year and both times they have worn out or worn unevenly. The first time i bought the cheap'o tires so i thought that was the problem with such a heavy vehicle, but I bought the expensive ones the second time around and they are still wearing unevenly in the back. The alignment is good and everything is in order. I even replaced the standard shocks with Bilstein HD's. This may possibly be related to the air socks in the back providing 0 support or stability on the road. I have ordered my ARB coils for the rear hoping that may fix the tire mess...Has anyone seen this type of behaviour with their DISCO before???

Old 09-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Winching
Default RE: Tires wear out too fast...

What brand/type of tires did you purchase ? What kind of driving do you do ? What kind of wear are you experiencing ?

LRNA only approves a few tires for use on a D2. Many tires do not have the sidewall strength to support such a heavy vehicle.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling

On my '97 Disco I got 70k out of my Michelin XPC tires (original equipment.) I now have Michelin Synchrones on my '05 RR. I hear with full time all wheel drives, alignment is pretty tricky. I've been reading posts about the Porsche Cayenne where people were getting 15k on a set of tires, and the problem was always alignment. Good luck

Old 10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First is the wear uneven like on the inside or on outside? Second dII presures needed be adjusted regulary to around 47 pounds cold if the center begins wearing out raise the psi around 2 pounds cold if outside edging occurs and lower it 2. If inside tracking (cupping or roughness on inside only) or other way around then get a 4 wheel alignment to make sure nothings bent, also goodyear wranglers are s--t so try find a michy or more offroad bf goodrich a-t a noisey tire but they are unbelievable look at any defender

Old 10-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Overlanding

I went ahead and got a Cooper HT which I thought was rated with heavy side walls. Thats interesting about the alignment though...maybe they didn't perform a proper alignment when they put the tires on like they said.

Thanks,

Old 10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

with full time 4 wheel driver it is important to make sure they do a four wheel alignment. If you don't tell them that, they may take an easy way out or they simply don't know. I average 50k on each set of tires, 3 different brands. the side wall weight is the important. hope it helps. gottta love a rover. duboff

Old 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Overlanding

Yeah I got some Cooper Discover H/T's becasue the guy at the tire place said he ALWAYS puts them on Discos. Plus the tread looked pretty practicle for both light off roading and road travel. I didn't ask about the side walls.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling

one thing I forgot to add is to look at the manufactured date on the tires. It matters. tires can and do dry rot on the shelf. the life span is usually about 4 years. One I learned the hard way. blow out with my wife driving. The tires looked great. Look at the tires before they mount them. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff