Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!

I am planning for this to be a long process as I am only doing little bits each day but today I applied the resin to the truck to make my "mold" for the placement of the box I will update this with more pics as the process continues so if anyone else wants to make one they can, and just in case anyone is wondering I really don't like working with fiberglass anymore so if you want your own version of this you will either have to make it yourself or find someone in the custom audio biz to make one for you. My final air space spec should be around .8 cubic feet
1:http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?i...offareamy7.jpg

2:http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?i...appliedsw1.jpg

Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!

Can't wait to see progress on this. I've been thinking of a similar setup for my sub when I get it. How are you going to finish the final product? (like paint-wise)

Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

high build primer sanded down smooth and then I am going to just do some nice spray paint (try to match it up to the factory panel that it is up against) dont want a gloss finish or anything like that. This project is not for show it is just so I can have my bass nd still keep my cargo area (my sub box now takes up alot of space) I am going from 2 12" subs to 1 12" sub.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product, keep us updated and gl

Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

here is a pic of the "shell" out of the truck it hasn't completely cured yet (hence the foil still on the back)but I wanted it out of the truck asap.

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1004963zv0.jpg

either later today or in the morning tomorrow I will trim all the edges to make it a clean perfect fit, then apply about a half an inch of resin and matte over the next few days. Then I will fit my ring and my structure brace for the top (will show this when I get there)

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Mudding

i have a question what type of sub are you putting with what amp because as soon as your done with your am going to start mine. also what type of sander do you have?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I currently have 2 JL audio 12w4's that I bought new in 1997 (yes they are very old and I just blew one which is why I decided to do this now!) I power them with an equaly old 500 watt 2 channel Fosgate amp that sits under the passenger front seat, now that the factory cd changer is gone. I decided that since I am only going to use 1 sub I figure I will go with a dual voice coil sub that can take a little more power than the two that I have now. I really love JL audio subs and will most likely go with a 12w3 or a 12w6 (I also like how the newer JL subs are just black with out any logos on them (except for the little w3 or w6 symbol at the bottom). JL audio also makes a 6" or a 6.5" sub that I thought maybe after this project I would get 2 of and try to put in the factory sub box on the back door to try to get some extra mid bass(since those haven't worked since I got the truck). I left New Hampshire a couple of years ago and got rid of all of my custom tools (saws, sanders, router) before I left so for this venture I decided to just borrow a jigsaw and an electric sander (I think they are both B & D) from my brother. It will be tough cutting the ring with a jigsaw but I have done a few like that in the past, and we will have to see how the electric sander turns out.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Mudding

make sure you update us i really want to see the end result

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Mudding

I have JL's that were in the stock subbox when i bought the truck, they sound great. I think they are W0's. i'd have to check the paper work though.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am wanting to put subs in the same location on mine but was thinking a pair of 8"s or 10"s instead of 12"s. JL's in place of the factory rear door woofers I bet would make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!