Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!

WOW Zapco amps never see those outside of the competitions! HO alternator, Morel (I was a Morel dealer back east) and Dynaudio (not sure about that one but 2.5 cu.ft. sealed!!!!) sounds like your not the only one in the neighborhood listening to your truck! The only suggestion I can make is if you are thinking about making a box like this you should remove the whole panel in the back as you will need a lot more room to create that much air space (not too mention most likely your sub has a huge magnet and a pretty deep mounting depth) I would also check the specs on the sub and see if you can make the box any smaller than what you currently have. I can help anyone out with airspace calculations. I actually filled my box with water to see for sure where I was on size and the leaks remaining, and I was pretty close to my target size of .8 cu.ft.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rover Chris -
Yep, I have already built this box...I did remove the entirepanel on the passenger side (under the rear quarter window), applied heavy dyno-mat, and built a box that can be removed (if necessary...).

The box is made of 1" MDF and fiberglass it is: 18" High X 26" Wide (at the top) X 33" wide (at the bottom) X 12" Deep, then I covered it with vinyl, like the door panels. The sub-woofer speaker (the center of the speaker), is covered in speakercloth, darker tan ("chocolate brown")!

The box came out somewhere near 3.645 cu. ft. But, when baffles were added as well as "fiber-filler" I'm nowclose to 2.534 approx.!12" Dynaudio Sub-Woofer, Dual Voice Coil,huge magnet....YEP, it is HUGE...and kinda deep mounting depth (I believe somewhere around 5/6"...), and, I think it has a 250 watt handling cap. Dynaudiohas been around for a number of years (Google it...)!

I would be happy to provide you with the " Q " or any spec.'s you might want to know. All of this (my entire stereo has been in my truck and working for about 2yrs. now... YES, Zapco Amp...I have had it down to 2 ohms...very stable, but a bit warm...mounted under the rear " 60/40" split seat (had to remove the carpet, and the undermat.)

This ZapcoReference 650/6 Channel Amp. runs the front as well as the rear, and the sub-woofer. After a few 'tweets' of all of the controls, it sounds quite nice! Good seperation of highs,mids and lows!

And, I DO NOT raddle my neighbors...I don't like that...and I know others don't either! I really do respect everyone around me! (But, out on the freeway, here in Southern Calif....I crank-it-up!)

My goal was a crisp, clean sound system. I have achieved that...And now I enjoy the rewards of my labors.

More/Later...Donald

Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

[quote]ORIGINAL: Donald

And, I DO NOT raddle my neighbors...I don't like that...and I know others don't either! I really do respect everyone around me! (But, out on the freeway, here in Southern Calif....I crank-it-up!)

yes the only time my neighbors hear my audio is when I am working on it. I am very respectful of all residential areas. As a member of this industry it is upsetting to me when a car drives by and rattles my windows, then someone calls the police, eventually the cops outlaw loud stereos, and finally my business goes down! kind of like when people remove SRS systems to put TV's in there steering wheel, this results in the government making more laws, and automakers making aftermarket integration more difficult. But that is a whole other ball of wax!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"...Amen Rover Chris!

And Thank-You for putting it all into perspective...

Donald

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK guys I have put way more time into this than I wanted to so here are some pics of the final product. I also have video of the sub playing on my myspace and facebook pages for anyone on there. It is not perfect but for what I was try to accomplish it definitely serves its purpose (takes up minimum space and sounds GREAT!!!)

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003037cu0.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003040yc2.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003042xq7.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1003044fh6.jpg

hope you guys like it!
and if anyone has any questions just ask.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks nice, thanks for the thorough write up. I have a pair of JL Audio W0s that I intended to put in the rear cargo door to replace the original subs that rotted out. I was a the wrecking yard a few weeks ago and there were no fewer than 12 Discoverys of various years. there was a 2003 or 2004, can't remember for sure, so I pulled the sub box out with two perfect OEM Subs. The only difference was that there was not an attached amp on the back, vs. my 1999 DI subs. What is the best way to power the 2004 subs, use my old 1999 sub amp or hook up something new? If new, any potential pitfalls with the wiring? Thanks again in advance. Loved the write up and photos. Phil

1999 Discovery I 93000 miles

Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

By the way, I guess that I should have mentioned that the subs with housing cost me $20 and a cut on my arm while reaching through the broken rear window on the 2004. Nice looking car inside and out other than the rollover damage. Phil

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

tough to say, if you have an aftermarket deck I would say aftermarket amp but then you run into power questions (how much power to those subs) I would say no more than 100 watts total with a 2 channel amp and then adjust the gain from a low setting, If you have a stock deck then go either way (aftermarket will require a line level converter and new power wires, I actually installed my amp under the passenger seat and ran my wires back).

good to know about the junkyards, I have been thinking about going to one here for my cruise ECU but was worried that they would want to much for it. but that price was pretty good for the subs and housing, and there were a few there so I think I will check it out today.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

got my grill for the box painted and installed so I thought I would put up a few pictures of it. I also used my plastic badge from the cargo door handle (same one I ordered that I am waiting for) so you guys could see how it will look when that is on.

Attached Thumbnails  Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!-grill-far.jpg    Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!-grill-badge.jpg    Today I started the disco fiberglass sub box!!!-grill-close.jpg