Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tons of Misfires! And a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of Misfires! And a few questions.

I am experiencing some pretty rough riding with my 2003 Disco II (100k) running 93 Octane. It has rough idle, jumpy/jerky throttle, especially on slight up hills. I can always accelerate through it...but 2nd-gear-ish is tough. My mechanic has diagnosed it as a bad coil, after checking through the plugs and wires. note* I am not sure what plugs/wires are installed at the moment.

BUT that was 2 1/2 weeks ago. He cleared my codes back then, and planned on having me in when he got in the parts. Hasn't happened yet. Since then, the check engine light has come on, and has periods of flashing several times per journey... It didn't seem too damaging as it began, and it doesn't seem to be getting THAT much worse... but the more I read around here the more worried I become.

Here are the codes that I pulled from her today:

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
P1300 - Catalyst Damaging Misfire, multiple cylinders. Drive cycle C: signal above range max
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0150 - o2 circuit fault Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0174 - System too lean Bank 2
P0308 - cylinder 8 misfire
P0455 - EVAP emission leak (gross leak/no flow)
P0306 - Cylinder 6 misfire
P0159 - o2 circuit slow response Bank 2 Sensor 2

This leads me to several questions, and any direction I can get from you guys would be amazing!

1. How much damage am I really doing by driving it? I've read some things about catalytic converters...

2. Are there specific brand parts that I should make sure he's putting in, when it comes to the coil pack(s)?

3. Should I have him change both at the same time? It seems there are misfires on both banks, I believe he's only planning on changing Bank A's coil pack.

4. With my SES light on for so long, i've heard the Disco defaults to to some rich mixture, am i REALLY gunking up my whole engine??

-Vince

Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would stop driving it when you can and send me your number so we can talk.
How mechanical are you, what color are the plug wires?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike. Thanks for your quick response! I don't seem to have permission to send private messages yet...or even access my profile page. That's weird...

I am on the new to the mechanical work, but am a fast learner. My plug wires are grey. the only labeling I can see on them are that they are 7mm.