Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Many Issues-three amigos-coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Many Issues-three amigos-coolant leak!

I did the 'shuttle valve kit' fix to get rid of my intermittent 'three amigos'. The repair went well and no 'amigos' after over 60 miles yesterday. Did notice that I am losing about a 1/2 to 1 gallon of coolant per 4 or 5 days and my oil is a quart low after being changed on Nov.2 Looks like oil and coolant loss are external only and coming from the rear of the engine. The Amigos showed themselves 3 times today when my wife drove to the post office!!!!!!!!!!

I have had this truck since Oct. 28 and it has been to the Rover Dealer 6 or 7times, front diff. locked up & destroyed itself and was replaced, countless SES lights and vacuum leaks which have all finally been found, new window regulator, new transfer case switch, new wheel hub assembly, now aam looking at a $2500 ABS modulator and perhaps a $2500 + head gasket job????????!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that these trucks need maintenance , but c'mon!!!! I bought a truck not 2 months ago that is going to end up costing me nearly $10,000 morethan the purchase price in repairs after 2+weeks of actually driving it!!!

I am frustrated. Thank you all for listening. This forum is great.

-Aaron
2003 Disco 74,000 miles and behaves like a car with 400,000 miles on it!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Too Many Issues-three amigos-coolant leak!

Is that like the Cincinnati Bearcats?

Are you suing the stealership or a local garage? Sounds like some of the headaches are leftovers from the previous owner. Do you have any of those records? I have put more money into mine already than I had hoped I would . But I hope it is saving me some headaches in the future.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Mudding

Yes - Cincinnati Bearcats...I am a HUGE UC football fan!

I purchased that car used from a Mitsu. dealer in Cincy and I am getting it serviced at Land Rover of Dayton. I realize that most of my probs. are headaches from the previous owner,(there were NO records from the prev.owner) but I had no idea that things could get this bad!

Ireally love the truck, It is Dark Green metallic with Beige Leather int. and it is in MINT condition appearance-wise which is why I pulled the trigger and bought it!

-Aaron

Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Aaron, why do you need head gaskets? The going price thru a small shop is apx $1400 using Rover parts.
As for the ABS parts, go to , http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=121

Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Mudding

As I mentioned previously in this thread, "perhaps I may be needing a head gasket job"....I take it into the dealer on Monday to find out where all of my coolant and oil is going. The closest "indy Rover shop" is 3-4 hours away near Cleveland and the Dealer is 3 Minutes from my house. If I do need the gaskets , I understand that it is about a 12 hr. job + parts so at $96/hr. labor from the dealer + parts, I am looking at about $1400 at the dealer??, I stated $2500 before because based on what I have been through so far, they will probably find/and have to fix a bunch of other crap.:-( and I was frustrated. Thanks for the more accurate figure. :-)

-aaron

Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Mudding

Hello again everyone!

The time has come- the Disco goes in to the Dealer tomorrow for a brand spankin' new $$$$ABS Modulator$$$ (bye , bye three amigos!) and the source of the enormous coolant loss will be discovered and then another appointment is scheduled for Monday to repair what the inspection for the coolant leak reveals.

Please say a prayer for me.

-Aaron
2003 Disco - soon to be needing only routine fluid and filter changes

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're praying for you! Good luck!

I will be interested to know where the coolant leak(s) are as I'm fighting that one now too.

Tom.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Three Wheeling

aaron;

Similar story, love my colors and very fun to drive. There many shops here in Cincy that work on Rovers and do it well. There are several right around the Cincy LandRover store.A friend of mine owns a local garage with two locations and has worked on all my vehicles. He has done most of the work on this Disco with me supplying the parts from AB or roverconnection. The dealer did a few things but it was in Cincy and I am in Northern Ky and the drive was a drag. I went ahead and did everything that was needed as far as gaskets and water pump, plugs, wires etc... when they had it apart. I did the drive shafts as well. Hope to save some headaches in the future.