Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too skeered to go wheelin' in my Disco. Give me confidence!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why remove the washer bottle?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll see why after you remove the bumper.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedream
When I go off road for an all day affair I take off my front bumper and fogs and remove the washer fluid bottle. This only takes an hour or so and will save thousands if you plan on going on hilly terrain with the stock suspension.
You have an 04 which has a slightly better approach angle than a pre-facelift and you still take it off ? you either are to mad when offroad, or trying trails that the standard car cannot do safely imo.....sounds like you need an "offroad" bumper so you can enjoy the "harder" stuff.

If you remove the washer bottle, how you clean the screen when it gets caked in mud lol ?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

you pee on it ... tada clean screen

Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Drifting

I would love to get an off road bumper, I know some of them come with a washer fluid bottle relocation kit that moves it to a different area, one location is against the firewall next to the fuse box if it does not have SAI, the other location I am not sure of. I also have the Hurricane 18s with stock suspension It may be an illusion from pictures I have seen of the 16s but the approach seem to be better. All I know is I have a bumper when I get home, others not so much. I took this picture last year and it made me realize how close I was.

Attached Thumbnails Too skeered to go wheelin' in my Disco.  Give me confidence!-p1000697.jpg  

Last edited by Pipedream; 09-10-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Too scared to go wheeling in a Land Rover?!?! You might as well have said "I'm too scared to use the internet on my own computer" :P

Seriously though these trucks are tough as nails, you can drive em over pretty much whatever you want. My stock Disco on bald street tires is always pulling out my buddy's Jeep on 33"s, lifted 6 or 8 inches.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedream
I would love to get an off road bumper, I know some of them come with a washer fluid bottle relocation kit that moves it to a different area, one location is against the firewall next to the fuse box if it does not have SAI, the other location I am not sure of. I also have the Hurricane 18s with stock suspension It may be an illusion from pictures I have seen of the 16s but the approach seem to be better. All I know is I have a bumper when I get home, others not so much. I took this picture last year and it made me realize how close I was.
I think you have alot more room than you realize. But i've talked to a couple disco owners who do the exact some thing, so you're not alone.

To the OP, here is my off road story: I bought my disco with zero off road knowledge. I wanted to know the ropes, but really had no where to learn. But I got really lucky and the golf course near my house closed. I went out there every weekend and practiced going down hills, over ditches, bumps, lumps, and whatever else I could find out there. It was very easy, but thats the best way to learn. Find somewhere easy to test your skills, obviously it doesnt have to been an abandoned golf course, and take the disco into its natural environment. You'll be amazed at what the truck and can do.

Just remeber, if it looks to hard, dont try it. Stick with the easy stuff and become comfortable with everything. Once you are, off roading will be the most addiction thing EVER.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One more thing, dont practice by yourself, bring another vehicle with you. That goes for off roading period, ALWAYS have a second vehcile.

(either that or a great cell phone and some walking boots)

Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It may seem tight under the hood of a DII but you can fit a lot more in there than you think. This is from a project East Coast Rover did, washer relocation kit, shock reservoirs, and even dual batteries and everything is still serviceable.

Name:  16813.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  16814.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  16816.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  17.3 KB

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posts.

Again, it's not a matter of confidence in my ability, it's a matter of "what's going to break next?"

Quick Reply: Too skeered to go wheelin' in my Disco. Give me confidence!