Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools - advice/input please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tools - advice/input please...

Guys,

I'm posting this up here because I am at a bit of a quandry. I am working on outfitting a new tool chest that was a surprise from the GF. It's a beauty, not a Snap-On or Matco, but she did good.

So I'm looking around to start getting better tools to fill it. I work with these a lot, and my current collection is a combo of hand-me-downs from dad (will keep forever, but not many of them), and cheap junk I had to buy in high school and college because I needed the other $3 for beer and........hotwings. Yeah, that what it was.

So, out with the cheap stuff, and onto the man stuff.

Our local snap-on and matco guys are pretty high, and I am starting with the basics.

I have been disappointed to learn that many of the craftsman tools are now made in china.....and are therefore out of the question. (I'm a small business owning redneck from GA - sue me)

I have one small 3/8" ratchet set by Facom tools, and LOVE IT, but those things aren't cheap.

GearWrench has served me well, but recently I was introduced to Wera, Felo and Wiha hand tools - same breed as Facom, but not quite the price tag.

So from you guys/gals that have been doing this awhile (I'm only 29, wrenching/breaking things since 12.....), where to proceed?

Brands, sources (amazon.com is a favorite of mine), do's & don'ts. I've got a head-high chest to fill.....so spare boxes of 20's are welcome too at this point.

Ideally, i'd find an estate sale of the Yoda of mechanics, and in the corner would be a 35-drawer chest filled with every vintage craftsman, snap-on, and matco ever made......but after I wake up from that dream and wipe the drool off my face, I still need some wrenches.

Thoughts? Links? I'd rather get fewer nice tools than some cheap "Kobalt Mechanics Kit" type stuff.

Or if you know of any guys who are retiring/etc, and have good old tools for sale (much prefer the vintage stuff - don't mind restoring them either) send them my way!!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason snap-on, mac, and matco are higher is mostly because of the warranty but also because of increased R&D.

you buy it once and you will have a functional tool forever.

all of them have lesser lines: snap-on's is blue point, mac's is expert, and i can't remember matco's but the decreased cost is because they are made in taiwan.

edit: also don't hate free trade

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
I needed the other $3 for beer and........hotwings.
$3 hotwings? I need to move near you. Around here, $3 would get you all seeds & stems, no hotwings.

Seriously, tho. Craigslist is a great place to find vintage Craftsman and Snap-On/Matco stuff.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

College was in MS - so yeah, $3 hotwings were available.......courtesy of bobby brown. Ahh, the good 'ol days. All behind me now, probably for the best....

Anyway, onto the biz at hand:

I don't hate free trade at all, I just think if you're gonna spend the money on tools, don't get cheap imported crap. I've killed several Kobalt and similar tools working on the rover and other cars. They're just cheaply made. Cheap steel is no match for my pissed-off self with a shop full of tools and a rusted bolt. Fortunately, Lowe's exchanged it.

Found a few used matco/Mac/Snap on sets around here, will check CL for them as well, most of them are piecemeal and missing parts from the sets.....Ah well, I guess i can just enjoy the collection process.

For the record, I did just buy a small adjustable ratchet wrench set by Facom, and man, it is smooth as butter! I get why ferrari uses those guys.....they have the budget for it.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

brand names are great they also cost 5-10 times that of other brands, any craftsmans set on sale at less than $1 a peice is a good buy.
yes you dont like buying offshore stuff no one does, the question is do you want to fill your boxes or have one shinny snapon 1/2 flex head ratchet, which will cost you more than 100 pc craftman set.
i have it all Matco, craftsman, snapon, corwell SK & habor freight, and i dont return habor frieght and more than i return the others they all have life time warrtenies on hand tools.
And i dont have wait 2 weeks for the snapon/matco/corwell guy to show up so that it can be replaced, i drive down the street to harbor freight or sears and replace it.
Do you really need a $30 11/16 Wrench? I dont even know what it fits.. try filling your boxes completely, then if need be you can replace the stuff that is used every day like 1/2, 9/16 10mm,12mm, 14mm.
just some advise from an old man with 3 complete sets of rollaways, i never look at the brand name on a wrench or socket only the size.