Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tornado Systems Group Ecu Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
You drank the koolaid?
What do you mean? I don't even own a D2 anymore.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the ECU programming field, but it its all relevant. You program one, you have a base file to program them all. Copy and paste, there's nothing here worth pursuing...

Trust me, I get it. I've invested countless $$$ in tunes throughout the years owning Audi Turbo cars. Don't get me wrong, The investment was definitely worth the initial capital layout. The performance increase return for dollars spent was seen ten fold. I understand and appreciate the "hours" it takes to establish base line tunes, but I can tell you the end result you're expecting is not worth the "Nutt". These are non aspirated motors, there's no more power to extract.

I have a V-10 BMW M5 in my garage and have multiple "tuners" begging me to give them my money for a "tune" that guarantees a cleaner torque curve. Better yet the best they can do is 15-20HP on non-proven Dyno.

What exactly do you all expect to achieve here??

Unless, you plan to redline each gear I do not see any benefit. I wish I did. But in a practical sense it does not exist.

Last edited by coors; 01-16-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing. Like I said, I don't even own a D2. I was just giving some insight into a possible feature he may be able to add in the future.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

It's definitely doable...for a price. No doubt

You miss you're D2, don't ya?!!

Come on back...

Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I have a V-10 BMW M5 in my garage and have multiple "tuners" begging me to give them my money for a "tune" that guarantees a cleaner torque curve. Better yet the best they can do is 15-20HP on non-proven Dyno.
Your talking about a completely different stock setup. I'm talking about a truck that was purposely detuned by Land Rover to help cure some of the reliability issues. You are talking about a car that has already been tuned specifically by a group of engineers to extract the most powerful performance from the engine with causing premature failure.

So yeah you take an ecu that has already been tuned for the application and try to retune it and you get 5hp from a Dinan tune. But you take the Bosch system in the truck that has been detuned and rectify that situation and you gain power real power. Have you ever asked yourself why the P38 and D2 have different horsepower and torque numbers even though they use the exact same engine. It's in the ecu. Don't believe me find someone with a nanocom that can pair a p38 ecu to your D2. All the sudden you are making more power. The disco was detuned so they could sell the range rover as the sport model with more power all marketing at its best. Then you take someone like Power Chip that tunes a D2 ecu as a stand alone and you see the 4.6 go to 236HP up from 217HP, you also see the torque go from 300ft-lbs to 327ft-lbs. So you get a 19HP and 27ft-lbs out of a simple tune.

So it's not that we are trying to build a better BMW, we are just trying to get the power back that the truck should have had when it was built. If the numbers don't pan out on the Tornado System group buy, I am still going to get a P38 ECU pair it to the D2 and go from a 217hp to a 225hp or contact Power Chip.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/2/Lan0020.pdf

Old 01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

The P38 has headers.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
The P38 has headers.
Yes the headers are a difference but talking to the different tuning companies for the past month all have said that the hp number difference is due to the ecu. Most companies use the P38 tune as a base and expand from there, they abandon the original D2 because it is such a bad base tune for the engine. Plus a lot of times BHP test are done with exhaust dumps because they are testing the engine out of the truck. But who knows, I just getting tired of all the skeptics putting the idea down.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I'm sure the tune helps. 217hp out of 4.6L is almost shameful for the year.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
The P38 has headers.
Shorty headers, which don't really make much (sometimes any) better horsepower than stock manifolds on almost any vehicles.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

why the P38 and D2 have different horsepower and torque numbers
I'm only seeing about a 3.5 difference in HP at 4,750 RPM looking at the WMs. RR OM gives "Rev limiter (fuel cut-off point) 5,500 rev/min" and D2 WM indicates rev limit is dependent upon gear box position and maxes out at 5,400.

Both stock engines/ECMs should show increase in power above 4,750 and would assume D2 is also developing greater than it's rated 217 HP.

Quick Reply: Tornado Systems Group Ecu Tune