Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Convertor Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Convertor Question?

just installed rebuilt engine - engine runs but transmission won't move 2003 D2; can see torque convertor spinning thru round hole in bottom of bellhousing; how can I test transmission? worked fine b4 engine pulled; would it be possible to have torque convertor slip out of engagement w/ oil pump & still have good fitment to engine block? drive plate seems to match up properly w/ convertor, & bellhousing matches well w/ engine block; I have no feel of any potential engagement of gears either forward or reverse, in either high or low transfer case range; I know there is a fuse or two for transfer case but have checked & all fuses good; any suggestions on where to start inspecting would be most appreciated; thank you all kindly;

Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tdmadlem
just installed rebuilt engine - engine runs but transmission won't move 2003 D2; can see torque convertor spinning thru round hole in bottom of bellhousing; how can I test transmission? worked fine b4 engine pulled; would it be possible to have torque convertor slip out of engagement w/ oil pump & still have good fitment to engine block? drive plate seems to match up properly w/ convertor, & bellhousing matches well w/ engine block; I have no feel of any potential engagement of gears either forward or reverse, in either high or low transfer case range; I know there is a fuse or two for transfer case but have checked & all fuses good; any suggestions on where to start inspecting would be most appreciated; thank you all kindly;
Have you checked the ATF level and cooler pipes connections? Is the electrical connections all correct? Possible selector cable and xyz switch positional change during engine removal?

Often when reinstalling an engine many people damage the oil pump in the autobox bell housing which would cause the gearbox to malfunction. Checkout the RAVE manual for the correct installation.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Does the gear selection show in the cluster?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Drifting

I did top off trans fluid, checked cooler pipe connections at radiator, & also electrical fittings at trans; reset xyz switch selections several times; gear selection does change in cluster with selector movement;

Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Drifting

also, I did not remove torque convertor during engine swap; I believe it stayed in it's right place in bellhousing

Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you checked all your fuses and relays? In most vehicles, the gears won't engage if there's no power to the solenoids in the valve body. I've also seen this happen with a voltage drop between the relay and the transmission. I think it gave a P0880 code in that particular case. Do you have any trouble codes? Sometimes you will, sometimes you won't. If you do, they may help give you some direction.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

low on fluids or you TC is not spinning the front pump

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tdmadlem
I did top off trans fluid, checked cooler pipe connections at radiator, & also electrical fittings at trans; reset xyz switch selections several times; gear selection does change in cluster with selector movement;
Was the engine running when you topped off the fluid?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Drifting

didn't have engine running when topping off trans fluid, but ran approx 5 mins afterwards & fluid still coming out of fill hole; trans was working fine b4 I pulled engine, & very little fluid leaked out of cooler lines when I pulled radiator; it took about a pint of new fluid to top off;

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

car running with a second person in the vehicle shifting through the gears while you pump fluid is the correct method to fill.

It is outlined in detail in the RAVE manual.

Quick Reply: Torque Convertor Question?