Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tow hooks

I was looking in the manual and I came across the part about the tow hooks in the "vehicle recovery" section. Are these just for tow trucks in case of a break down or could you use them as a connection to use a winch or tow rope? Obviously I dont want to "test it" and end up pulling the front or back of the car off.

(if you don't know what I am talking about they are located behind that black panel on the right side of the front spoiler, and also on the back, they refer to them as "towing eyes" in the manual")

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tow hooks

My understanding is that these are for shipping/transport to tie the vehicles down. I seriously doubt they would hold under the force of pulling a stuck rig. The tow hitch reciever would be a better option for a rear recovery point. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a front recovery point with my stock setup, I'm not ready yet to drop a chunk of change for an RTE bumper.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I will never hook into someones tie down hooks to pull him free, there have been too many cases where they have broken causing all sorts of damage.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw it happen with a friend of mine's truck and his girlfriends Jetta. She slid into a ditch and he tried to pull her out using a similar location.

The point broke clean off, sending a tow strap and hook into the back of his tailgate.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We recently had a terrible ice storm here. I saw a guy with an H2 trying to take what was left of the lower section of a tree over. He had the tow strap doubled around the tree to what he thought should be a hook. I saw him and stopped. I warned him not to use it like that. He laughed and called me jealous of his "real" offroad vehicle. Well, needless to say the hook released, but only partially, taking out his back 2 passenger windows after dangerously whipping around the tree.

I then pulled out my 3 straps I had kept in the back for recovery in foul weather, hooked to the hitch, and eased the tree down in low. He shut up.

It isn't what you have, it is how you use it.. (that's what she said)

Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHA! Thats amazing. I have found hummer drivers (h2 and h3) are some of the most rude people out there. The guys driving h1's, not so much, but the poser ones are the worst! From what I have read here I don't think i will ever attempt to use the tow hooks for recovery. So far I have been the recover-er so I haven't needed to use the front, and I cant say I know what I would hook it to if I ever were to get stuck? On the back I used the tow hitch to pull out a jeep and that worked perfect. What would use guys use on the front?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I will never hook into someones tie down hooks to pull him free, there have been too many cases where they have broken causing all sorts of damage.
Do you mean the tow points in the bumpers? Or the tie down points for shipping?

The factory tie down points should be plenty strong, they are designed to carry the full weight of the car. Each.

Now, if you hook a 9000lb winch up to a point designed for 5000... then yeah that won't work.

Not doubting, just looking for clarification of the point.

I think Expedition Exchange sells "JATE" rings which are supposed to bolt into the frame. Do those work?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a D-Ring for your reciever hitch.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I read a post a while ago with a similar question. Whatever you do, DON'T use the front tie down point to tow someone or something, you'll end up bending you bumper pretty badly. Th epreviosu owner of my '03 did somethign similar and I've got about 1/4-1/2 inch differnce in space between the bumper and headlight from side to side.

Another item goes on the wishlist, but my old motto is: "when something breaks . . . upgrade!"

Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 PM
7th Gear

Page 264 of the manual says the front and rear towing points are for “on-road” recovery only.
Where can I get certified off-road recovery points for my D3?
Regards Barry

Quick Reply: Tow hooks